Went to Estikutum on Staniforth Road tonight...

Ghostrider

Myself and sam f_g went to this place tonight, as we both fancied either indian/thai and couldnt make our minds up where to go....

So, after much deliberation we went to Estikutum on Staniforth Road...

We were greeted by an indian in what I can only desccribe as full male indian wedding garb (good start so far)

After a short wait, we were shown to our table - as requested, table for two.

We ordered our drinks and went to serve ourselves.....

The starters were fantastic, couldnt fault them at all.

However - when it came to the main courses, it was slightly different.

Sam went and sampled the main courses - bearing in mind she is vegetarian, I was pointing out the odd dish or two.

Halfway through the main course, after a decent chat etc, Sam said to me " does this look like "bombay alloo"...after I had pointed it out to her as we were getting our food

I have to admit, it did LOOK like it - however, on closer inspection, it turned out not to be potato, but processed chicken :gag:

Nice for a vegetarian to get that isnt it :suspect: (and it was in the vegetarian section)

Ok, no problem, but we did finish the course, have a quick dessert and left.

After the discussion we had earlier, jumbo's is next week :hihi: - I have been going there for over 3 years and never had much of a problem with them..

The king prawn & roast duck are fantastic....

All in all, if you are meat eaters, Estikutum is the place to try (as long as you dont mind chewing for a while)

But , for knowing what you get - I cant fault jumbo's (even thought the service may be a little slow :hihi:

I didn't even realise they had a vegitarian section, I have been on a few occassions and all the dishes are mixed, however they are labelled and it does point out whether something is veggie or not. I must say that I have never had a problem with there bombay potatoes, however if I had chicken on my plate I would be furious. I hope you did not have to pay for your freinds meal?

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Friday.

Had the two bob bits all weekend.

Not too keen on chicken cooked on the bone,unless it's me cooking it.

Thai green was nice,but the curries were manky. sauces too runny,all spiced to the same level,(the madras was the same heat level as the masala and rogan josh).

Shant be going back in a hurry when Butlers is still open.

Archived