Walnut Club, Ecclesall Rd.

jasd75

Went to Walnut Club tonight with friends. Not been for a while. The service was shocking....lots of staff, but they didn't seem to have clue. We waited for ages for our food and I asked for a drink at the table and I had to ask for it 4 times.... it arrived half an hour later. Food was just ok. Chap on the door was a good fella but service was rubbish.

Went to Walnut Club tonight with friends. Not been for a while. The service was shocking....lots of staff, but they didn't seem to have clue. We waited for ages for our food and I asked for a drink at the table and I had to ask for it 4 times.... it arrived half an hour later. Food was just ok. Chap on the door was a good fella but service was rubbish.

can you call me please.

• 3 weeks later...

Walnut club = unhelpful staff!!

Went there last night and was DISAPPOINTED!!

1. The place was dead compared to the rest on eccy road. We ordered a drink at the bar before going to our table. Soon as we sat down, we got pestered 3 times if we wanted drinks with our food.

2. Ordered a tandoori seabass. The seabass was plain with no spices at all! The guy taking our orders recommended I take a side order with it, so opted for the side plate of green veggies which he said would include cauliflower and spinach. NONE OF THE TWO!!

3. At one point, the band came on and we couldn't hear each other at the table so we left.

My other friends ordered fish and chips and crispy belly pork which they enjoyed so I can't really blame the food.

For a hundred pound bill, I think the staff could have made a bit more effort and the management a lot more involved!

Such a shame!

What did you think Claret?

I am disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your evening with us.

1. I wish we were in a position to guarantee a full house for your visit but Easter weekends are usually quiet due to people holidaying with family and Thursday and Sunday sometimes tend to get the trade.

2. The sea bass is spiced to appeal to all palettes. We have not received any other complaints on this dish. We have never served cauliflower in the green side vegetable dish.

3. The band on Friday and Saturday night is an integral part of the evenings and we find most people appreciate and enjoy this. The noise level is unfortunately something we cannot control to individual tastes

As for the staff comments, how can we be more helpful to you ? I am a bit lost with the contradictions from being over helpful to unhelpful. Maybe you could have raised your complaint on the evening and I would have been most happy to try to address or allay your comments.

As part of the management team here, I am always glad to hear of both positive and negative comments. We continuously try to maintain a high level of service and I note and will address your unhelpful staff comments.

Please feel free to call me if you would like to discuss any specifics.

Chris Barradale

I was with PeeJam and, boy, am I annoyed that she has now worked out my forum name?!

Anyway - the place was quiet - not a bad thing for me. We got served swiftly at the bar so that was fine and I didn't feel as though I was eating in front of an audience.

The sea bass was barely spiced and just because you haven't received any other complaints on the dish doesn't mean that you will never receive one! Just change the description - Tandoori it was not! PeeJam did say it was well cooked and you will note that she doesn't criticise the way it was cooked, just the fact that it was bland.

I did laugh when my friend asked what was in the greens - the obvious answer is greens - however the waiter did go on to list a few including broccoli, beans, spinach and cauliflower. Now, I specifically remember the cauliflower because I remember thinking 'cauliflower ain't green'. I don't think that the criticism is the lack of the cauliflower or the spinach, just the fact that the waiter obviously had a lack of knowledge of the menu (and you do say that you have NEVER served cauliflower as a green, and so, said waiter should have known this).

The band was fine - just too loud when eating as it did mean that we had to shout at each other. The music, when on in the band's interval, was at a far more acceptable level.

The staff..... the waitress wasn't all that concerned at the suggestion that the sea bass was not tandoori. She did suggest taking it back to the kitchen, but we had aimed to eat together, so was told not to bother. This doesn't really help you does it? The fact that she said she could take it back should have been sufficient service wise, but she hadn't asked what they could do to improve, it was just a standard answer - shall I take it back? At the end of the day the fish was a world away from tandoori and to improve the dish the chef would have had to completely start again with a whole new recipe, so my friend didn't see the point.

We were pestered by one guy - about 3 times - to order wine. In the end, I quite sternly said 'we will order wine when we are ready'. Yes its nice to have attentive staff, but we had full glasses and were aiming to order wine when we ordered food.

Anyway, I was happy with my food. I had belly pork which was very nicely presented and it tasted good too. The cocktails were also good - though - shock horror - no maraschino cherries for the Manhattan and only a twist in the Martini. You need to sort that one out - especially at the prices that you charge for cocktails!

I'll go back. I thought the food was good - so much better than I expected (have you seen the reviews on here?!) and I like what you are trying to do. At first I wan't too sure about the decor, but it grew on me. It's quite sex in the city - dinner, drinks and dance place. How long it will last in Sheffield, time will tell. This city doesn't exactly like change!

Be nice to go with the husband and splash out on champagne and cocktails galore (as long as you get the cherries in).

Hahaha Claret finally gotcha! Good comments exactly what I meant.

Chriswetfish, of course you will defend your resto and try to dismiss it as contradictory but where were you or the management team when I complained to your staff? shouldn't your staff should have informed you then? I will pm you my number if you need more clarification, feel free to get in touch.

aeinstein199, if you order tandoori fish then you would expect it to taste of tandoori fish wouldn't you? There wasn't a faintest taste of cumin nor cayenne pepper let alone garlic, the 3 main ingredients in a tandoori dish for me. Besides, tandoori dishes are marinated and that's why I didn't see the point of sending it back to the kitchen and watch my friends eat.

To the rest of the people on the forum contemplating Walnut club, remember not to order tandoori fish or ask the waiter what's included in the dish. As for customer service on the night, forget it!

Just to inform chris wetfish isn't Christian szurko.

I have read the comment about the tandori bass and totally agree thus resulting in a new recipe being used which is from a friend of ours who owns a local indian restaurant. Personally I think it's a Whole lot better but last night I was informed buy a customer that it's still not spicey enough. So I'm thinking of doing a spice you're own fish. Plus to that customer last night a whole baked seabass will contain bones blame god not the chef.:).

Constructive comments are always helpfull in making a place better.

Archived