Help with James Dixon & Sons Powder Flask

theprofessor

I am a novice collector of antique powder flasks. Many of the fine examples of collector flasks have one of two different stamps:

a. James Dixon & Sons

Sheffield

or

b. Dixon & Sons

Made in England

Can someone shed some light on the reason for different markings? :help::huh:

Is there a circa time frame that either of these stamp markings were used to ID flasks? :help::huh:

Thank you in advance for any info.

*** PICTURES ADDED SEE FOLLOWING POST AS UPDATE ***

Item is an antique Powder Flask. Copper flask with brass top used to dispense blackpowder for percussion firearms.

Added some pictures for clarification of subject manufacture stamps :

a. James Dixon & Sons

Sheffield

sheffieldforum3.JPG

b. Dixon & Sons

Made in England

sheffieldforum2.JPG

sheffieldforum4.JPG

And finally the flask in question:

FOX HUNT - MEDALLION

sheffieldforum11.JPG

Hi there,

I wonder could anyone help me find out more about a James Dixon & sons jug which we have in our family for years. It looks like a coffee pot without a lid, its roughly 25cm tall, on the bottom it says A4 above James Dixon & sons Sheffield, and the number 2086 below the name. It is in lovely condition, the handle has leaves and acorns (I think!!) shapes in it and the jug also has fine patterns on it. Thanks in advance for any replies!

• 1 month later...

I have a collection of powder flasks for sale.

I'll post some pics !

Let me know when interested: some Sheffield stuff with it, various styles.

Feel free to contact me. I know what I payed for this: but for a fair price I sell the whole lot.

Regards,

Khukri

Belgium

• 4 months later...

Hey, I need help identifying the value of a James Dixon and Sons flask my mother gave me to sell. It's a silver flask with a floral / victorian design. The bottom says:

James Dixon and Sons

Sheffield

Made in England

included is a link to a picture of the flask. If anyone can help with any information related to this item, I'd be vastly appreciative. My email address is slightly_shattered@sbcglobal.net

Oh, and apparently I can't post a link until I post five times, so I'm just going to post this 4 more times. Sorry about that.

Hey, I need help identifying the value of a James Dixon and Sons flask my mother gave me to sell. It's a silver flask with a floral / victorian design. The bottom says:

James Dixon and Sons

Sheffield

Made in England

included is a link to a picture of the flask. If anyone can help with any information related to this item, I'd be vastly appreciative. My email address is slightly_shattered@sbcglobal.net

Oh, and apparently I can't post a link until I post five times, so I'm just going to post this 3 more times. Sorry about that.

James Dixon and Sons

Sheffield

Made in England

Oh, and apparently I can't post a link until I post five times, so I'm just going to post this 2 more times. Sorry about that.

James Dixon and Sons

Sheffield

Made in England

Oh, and apparently I can't post a link until I post five times, so I'm just going to post this 1 more time. Sorry about that.

Archived