Cottages opposite the Forum.

Texas

They were at the bottom of Moonshine Lane Texas, as you say, they could be seen from the Forum, a mate of mine lived in them in the 50's/60's.

Some of their gardens were taken when they built the roundabout on Herries Rd at the bottom of Moonshine & Shirecliffe Rd, there was a garage on the other corner & the doctors surgery on the other.

I don't know whats there thesedays, I left in 1970 & only briefly visited in 1990, many corporation houses have been demolished near there, so I wouldn't think they would still be there ?

Hi,

I vaguely remember the cottages in the 40's and the early 50's. Didn't go that way much after that. To be honest, I remember the junction better before the round-a-bout was built .

You also mentioned the Doctor's surgery on the other corner. I seem to recall there was a house and the actual surgery, but they were seperate. Possibly the surgery had been a garage at one time. Is it still there?

If you want me really scrape the last bit of my memory, I think the doctor's names were Glynn and Black. Does this ring a bell? Dr. Black also had a surgery somewhere at the Lane Top. Can't remember where Dr. Glynn's other surgery was located, or if he actually had one. My family were never their patients - its just that we knew the pratice.

I also remember that during the war, the surgery at Herries road had one of those Morrison shelters set up in the waiting room.

I know!! When you get to our age, we become compendiums of useless information.

Regards

[quote=Falls;

I seem to recall there was a house and the actual surgery, but they were seperate. Possibly the surgery had been a garage at one time.

Thats right Falls, I think it was once a garage, as it was at the end of the driveway, level with the back of the house, Dr Glynn was our family doctor for years.

i think the cottages went about late 60s. also halfway up moonshine lane was what we called the reservoir there was a lovely stone built house that stood near the gate think it could have been a pump house alas this has sadly now gone .

That was really something Falls, a Morrison shelter in the doctor's waiting room, prudent but bizzare. By the way, what happened to Anderson?

Apologies Falls, I've only just discovered Herbert Morrison took Anderson's job in the Government of the day, so Anderson and Morrison shelters are one and the same,(I think).

Archived