The Queen's Head

Alemonster

Mrs Alemonster (aka Beer Girl) and I haven't been in the Queen's Head next to the Interchange since May. Does anyone know if there has been a change of management since then? The good wife and I did like to call in for a last couple of pints on a Saturday before getting the bus home. We found making most of the pub out of bounds with stools placed on tables and confining customers to small section, a bit off putting. We vowed never to go back there until the regime had changed. It was a pity because their beers were great.

• 3 years later...

Revolving door management at the QH these days it seems. At least three different managments since the end of 2011. The last lot sacked the bar staff, now there's another team, but the sign advertising the pub is still up outside. Beer still OK, albeit pricey. What's going on?

Wasn't impressed the last time I went in. Asked for a top-up as there was about an inch of head on the pint; the barman obliged but another woman there told him off saying that it was an oversize glass (it wasn't), and that 4 pulls on the pump should be enough (doesn't sound like a good way of measuring a pint to me).

That said, I've never had a bad pint in there.

Last time I was down (2 weeks ago) they weren't bothering to collect glasses from the restaraunt area. Didn't look good and that makes an impression on people coming in. The thing is, how can you really fail with the QH? Passing trade from railway station and coach/bus station, history to play off (oldest Sheffield pub, haunted, secret tunnels underneath). I know tied pubs struggle with costs from greedy brewers, but really...

Last time I was down (2 weeks ago) they weren't bothering to collect glasses from the restaraunt area. Didn't look good and that makes an impression on people coming in. The thing is, how can you really fail with the QH? Passing trade from railway station and coach/bus station, history to play off (oldest Sheffield pub, haunted, secret tunnels underneath). I know tied pubs struggle with costs from greedy brewers, but really...

I`ve always thought that although the Queens Head was the oldest building in Sheffield it was the File(Nail?)makers pub at Norton that was the oldest pub.:D

It's not really very good as a pub is it? I can't quite put my finger on why this is though. The beer is OK and you can usually get a seat. It's got a bit of history and a handy location next to the bus and train stations.

But it's just a bit...tired and boring...ready for updating a bit. It doesn't attract any passing trade as no-one knows it is there unless you happen to take a wrong turning. So the clientelle isn't as diverse as the Tap over the road, so it's basically the Penny Black with handpumps.

But it's just a bit...tired and boring...ready for updating a bit. It doesn't attract any passing trade as no-one knows it is there unless you happen to take a wrong turning. So the clientelle isn't as diverse as the Tap over the road, so it's basically the Penny Black with handpumps.

..and less broken glass and blood.

I always worry when somebody suggests 'updating' an old pub. If any pub needs an overhaul it's the Penny Black, which is rough as a badger's 5 o'clock shadow. The QH just needs to preserve its old world features better and let people know its there.

I always worry when somebody suggests 'updating' an old pub. If any pub needs an overhaul it's the Penny Black, which is rough as a badger's 5 o'clock shadow. The QH just needs to preserve its old world features better and let people know its there.

You can update a pub without ruining it or losing its old features and character. The QH needs a refurb (new carpets, seat coverings, decorating, less chip fat smells). At present it resembles a rather tired 1980s estate pub. The old bit could be more of a feature drinking area.

Archived