Woodseats Postman Murder - 1993

IanG

Went for a walk earlier and looked at the postbox at the bottom of my road and noticed on the plaque for david hird the postman who was brutally murdered it was 15 years ago to the day :o

cant believe it was that long ago, I missed it by about 10 minutes as i was doing my paper round which went opposite the post box he was killed at, can remember all the lads off the estate being questioned about it and all the police all over the place.

R.I.P David

Edited by nikki-red

I worked for quite a number of years with David. I always got on with him well. He came to my home too. If I remember correctly, it was Fraser Crescent where he was killed. At work, we had messages of condolence for his family, from all over the UK. Yes, he was run over by his own van. RIP David.

I can't believe it's that long ago. I remember when it happened.

Senseless.

Best wishes to all who knew him and were related to him.

Was this the postman that was run over by his own van? I seem to remember something along those lines.

I don't think so. He was murdered not far from the Sheaf on Fraser Road - on a sort of turn off on the way from Woodseats down to Archer Road just off Fraser Road. It may be called Fraser Crescent - I'm not sure.

And the person(s) responsible, what are they doing now I wonder?

I'll be surprised if it's 'time' still.

If I remember correctly, they were never caught.

O God Iam getting old I worked with David for many years he was like they said at the time one of the nicest people I have ever worked with I as do many others still think of David the conferance room at the sorting office at Brighside Lane is named after him and there is a memorial bench where the drivers sit outside in the yard.

Thanks for starting this thread IanG now all I have to do is work out who are as we obviously live on the same street.

BACKGROUND

As it is so long ago it is perhaps worth just giving background

David Hird was a postman driver who was working out of the then Head Post Office at pond street Sheffield, he was carrying out the final full collection of the day in the woodseats area when he was emptying the pillar box at the bottom of Fraser Crescent he was set up on by 3 people (think it was 3) 1 in his 20s and two tennages (Note I am trying to remmeber but it is a long time ago) during the assult he was ran over by his own van this was then driven to the road at side of the church on holmhirst road, poor david was left on the ground he was found by residents.

Three ( think) were convicted at sheffield crown court of the offence and were jailed there may have been an appeal

There are vaious memorials to David : the plaque on the box mentioned above and the bench and room at brighside lane , David was the first postman to be murdered while on duty in the uk

The funeral held at Hutchcliffe wood was attended by around 500 people royal mail staff from the area and furhter afield the weather was appaling I remember seeing the head postmaser leaning against the outside of the crem - because he couldnt stand up with the wind he was totaly soacked.

Our thoughs are with him family at this time