Ever thought of migration to NZ?

would you consider emigrating to NZ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. would you consider emigrating to NZ?

• yes
    • no
    • would like to find out more
    • where's NZ :0)

My sister, a teacher, emigrated to NZ a few months ago and it sounds like she and her teenage kids are having a fantastic time. She researched the move first by going on a long visit to some ex-pats in Christchurch (perhaps it was you, Tammy?!!). I'll pass on your website details in any case.

Tammy mentions that they hold Balls in New Zealand to attract men. Just as likely to drive them away , unless you're very careful.

Seriously , it says something about the state of Britain when in the S.F. survey , over 60% would like to emigrate and a further large group are thinking about it.

Co-incidentally , other national surveys I've seen come out with similar results.I know some people will give "flip" answers to questions in surveys sometimes but I really do think there is a general malaise in the U.K. about the direction the country's taking. After all it takes a lot of courage to uproot yourself and move about 12,000 miles away.New Zealand is supposed to be "like Britain was 30 years ago". If that's true [and I believe it] no wonder so many people want to go.

Think what the lucky New Zealanders have missed !

Hi Fareast,

Thanks for your comments. I have 2 close friends from Sheffield that have emigrated within the last 4 years.

I am also suprised how the poll is going and will be interesting to see how the goes

cheers

Thanks Tammy and Hello.

I wish I was about 30 years younger and then I might make the move. However , I AM working in China but only on a one year or half-year contract. There are a good few people here from Australia and New Zealand and , without exception , they all seem open and friendly. It usually takes us Brits about 6 months to warm up------unless we're full of beer !

Working as a teacher , about 120kms. south-west of Beijing in a city called Shijiazhuang.

It's very big , about 6,000,000 , but a bit backwards by Western standards and as you say , it is very different from life in the U.K. ....etc.....

I became a teacher ,via a mature students course at Bradford College in 1984 [b.Ed. Hons. degree] and decided , on a whim , to work abroad , after teaching for 4 years in a private school in London.

Since 1988 , I've taught in Kuwait , Turkey , Saudi Arabia , Romania amd China. Teaching abroad became like a drug-----the more I saw , the more I wanted to see ! Yet , you have to stay for some time in a country to get to know it and I'm sad to think I won't have time to visit lots of other places.

I'm 63 now and some countries , Turkey and Romania , for example , put an age limit of 60 on new teachers , so it gets harder and harder to go just where you want to go !

I like China , though. It's a bit "rough round the edges " sometimes but the kids are generally nice to teach and the social life is btter , I think than in the U.K. And the weather !

My hometown is Sheffield and I do pop in regularly but I don't think it's a patch on the city of the 50's and 60's though.

A lot of others don't either , hence the results in the polls !

you are living a very exciting and interesting life....so many places.

I am sure there are many people that would like to do things like that....but for many its a case of better the devil you know.

So where do you plan to go next?

My uncle (70) lives and works in Berlin and teaches English

Archived