Cover Bands - Quality or Quantity???

RedRocker

Hi I have been having a conversation with someone about cover bands. As some of you may know I sing in an original band BUT when we play live we do a 50/50 split of covers and own stuff. If you went out on a Friday/Saturday night and saw a band would you A) stay if the band were terrible but did songs you knew OR B) would you stay if the band did a good mix but entertained you and played well??

It would be good to see what you all think :thumbsup:

I have left venues when cover bands have been terrible. It does not matter what a band plays as long as they are good musicians. It is always nice to see a band do their own stuff as well as it shows they are not just riding off the back of other musicians. I would say that for me it is definately quality that matters.

B) For me too. Covers are fine - if they're done well. Nothing worse than sitting there nursing a pint and thinking - 'bloody hell - I could play that better than they do'.

Of course it's nice if a band plays stuff you know - but if they're any good they can play stuff you've never heard before and really entertain you.

B) For me too. Covers are fine - if they're done well. Nothing worse than sitting there nursing a pint and thinking - 'bloody hell - I could play that better than they do'.

Of course it's nice if a band plays stuff you know - but if they're any good they can play stuff you've never heard before and really entertain you.

It's even better to see real bands play their own music. I avoid cover bands like the plague. Sheffield is bursting with talent at the moment. We also have some fantastic venues that attract world class acts. There are some fantastic bands playing in the next month or so. Why anyone would want to see a second rate Abba or Led Zep, when there is so much good original stuff to see, is beyond me.

It's even better to see real bands play their own music. I avoid cover bands like the plague. Sheffield is bursting with talent at the moment. We also have some fantastic venues that attract world class acts. There are some fantastic bands playing in the next month or so. Why anyone would want to see a second rate Abba or Led Zep, when there is so much good original stuff to see, is beyond me.

I agree there are far to many cover bands and I simply refuse to pay the outlandish prices charged at some venues to see them.

It is great to see an unknown band come out with some original ideas of their own.:thumbsup:

I'd say play it your own way, I love to see bands give a twist to a classic but as a general rule for life " re-gurgitation is never that nice to listen to!"

Best cover ever though, now there's a list!

for me - Joe Cocker - Get by with a little help...

or Radiohead - The Spy Who loved me.

answers on a postcard please.

Archived