The great big 'complaining about the time post is delivered' thread

No I expect the postman who gets to work for 6am to at least take the parcel with him so I can collect it when they open (usually about 7.15 after messing with the locks) rather than it arriving back at the delivery office after 9am three hours after he gets there. Also I wouldn't mind him not bringing my parcels but putting a card through for me to collect them the day after rather than putting the card through wether I'm there or not and without trying the door knocker or bell and delaying a parcel which as you say has traveled the lenth of the country in 24 hours or less but takes 48 hrs to travel the last mile and a half.

Should the post ever introduce flexible delivery willing to ring me and see where I'm working that day and deliver it to me at work I would withdraw all comments and agree they do a great job.

Just noticed the other reply I'd be chuffed to collect a parcel that they attempt to deliver on Friday Saturday morning unfortunately it doesn't get back to the delivery office till after 9am on the Monday or so my deliver office inform me when I do go on the Saturday and at 7.30 on the Monday.

and how is the postman supposed to carry all the parcels for the people that were not in to take them back to the office, as well as his mail? don't forget there's not just YOU! you will be one of several that day that was not home. Too many for him to carry around with the other mail.For this reason, the postie has to leave them at his drop off points and a van has to collect them and take them back into the system, this is why it can take up to 48 hours. And as for your other point, Royal Mail does not pay our mobile calls, we have to pay them ourselves, even for ringing our own office!

No I expect the postman who gets to work for 6am to at least take the parcel with him so I can collect it when they open (usually about 7.15 after messing with the locks) rather than it arriving back at the delivery office after 9am three hours after he gets there. Also I wouldn't mind him not bringing my parcels but putting a card through for me to collect them the day after rather than putting the card through wether I'm there or not and without trying the door knocker or bell and delaying a parcel which as you say has traveled the lenth of the country in 24 hours or less but takes 48 hrs to travel the last mile and a half.

Should the post ever introduce flexible delivery willing to ring me and see where I'm working that day and deliver it to me at work I would withdraw all comments and agree they do a great job.

Simple, stop using Royal Mail then, when you order something, order it so it gets delivered by DHL or another Courier service. Also arrange for all your bills to come through email instead of paper.

Then you won't have the problems you seem to be experiencing. I'm pretty sure they won't miss your custom.

delivery offices open at 7am!

What makes you think I can get there at 7am?? SOME people are not able to get there between 7 & 12 due to work, say like other posties lol.

And I am sure the postman knew the job involved getting up at the crack of dawn and walking the streets before he applied. I can think of much worse jobs with even less pay!!

so you expect your postie not only to carry your parcels round with him if you're not in but to then add time on to his day when he's already knackered, to take it to a post office, probably some distance away, because you can't get up to go to your delivery office from 7am? And by the way, when you have to get up Saturdays to fetch it, don't forget your same postie will have been up from 4am still trudging the streets while you were enjoying your Saturday lie-in! Get a Grip!

Well you can order redelivery back to your house (several times I believe just incase you not in again and again) for free, but you cant have it took to a post office where the royal mail go to make collections anyway?

why not have them delivered to work then....doh

I have most of my packets delieverd to work and never had a problem.

My work address never shows up on any of the online 'find your address' tools or I would have them delivered to work, it would be a lot easier.

You may have to collect your mail from your local delivery office which will be in the same postcode as where you live, but if you look at just the 2 main competitors of Royal Mail in Sheffield you willl see that they only have one main office / depot per town and that will be in an industrial estate miles away from your house.

Most other delivery services are the same. So if you live in say Handsworth and you don't drive you will have to make quite a long journey to pick up your mail/packet.

DHL depot is in S9

UPS their depot is in S4

When you look at the figure's below for the whole of the UK it is obvious that not every body will be 100% satisfied. The volumes of mail they deliver is huge by comparison to any other delivery service.

82million items delivered daily

113,000 pillar boxes

14,300 post office branches

30,000 red vans

33,000 bicycles

Oh and even when I was a postie over 30 yrs ago you were NOT allowed to take any undeliverd packets home , they had to be taken to a post office counter for it to be returned via the collection to be redelivered or collected.

So it hasn't changed only peoples perceptions of it has.

You moan about this service, yet will miss it should it be privatised, scaled down and only the profitable parts kept going. Do you want a Postal service run by the likes of First busses or Capita..? I don't, thank you...

Archived