Why did the Mappin Art Gallery dissappear?

Went to the refurbished Western Park to look for it. Found a kiddies playarea (disguised as a museum) but no art gallery ;-(

Alas that's the way they decided to do it, make it an interactive experience for children, encouraging them to dress up, touch things, play with exhibits etc.

I wish there was space for that sort of thing alongside a more traditional Gallery. I live near Weston Park and occasionally pop into the museum to see if there's anything new but I'm usually driven out by the hoards of laughing, screaming children. Not blaming them, it's nice to see children discovering the museum, it's just moved on from what it used to be.

Its like its okay to have Art but we are going to hide it on top of three flights of stairs and call it a library. ITs a disgrace all the major cities have proper museums and art galleries. We have a dress up section, plastic fruit and veg. I went to the millenium galleries thinking "this must be where the art is hiding" no its was the RSPCA christmas fayre" well worth the effort. Not.

Western Park isnt too bad. Apart from the art section, the area devoted to Sheffield is excellent I think.

Millenium Galleries is usually good but I think it could be improved upon. The fact that there doesn't seem to be a new exhibition on in the largest gallery now until January strikes me as odd.

However, what about Graves Art Gallery above the central library?

I love it in there and there is a lot to see.

...Millenium Galleries is usually good but I think it could be improved upon. The fact that there doesn't seem to be a new exhibition on in the largest gallery now until January strikes me as odd.

However, what about Graves Art Gallery above the central library?

I love it in there and there is a lot to see.

Yes, thankfully we do still have the Graves ...and at least the Ruskin still exists (in the Millenium Galleries), even if it is just a shadow of it's former self.

I'll miss the Mappin though.

I wish they hadn't got rid of it. They could have put it upstairs and left the downstairs to the children. There's nothing wrong with having a Children's Museum, it's a good idea, but it shouldn't have to be at the expense of the adult museum material and the Art Gallery. For a start there'll be no proper museum in Sheffield for the children to go to when they grow up.

And what actually happened to all the paintings etc that were in the old Gallery? Are they just in storage or have they been sold? I've seen some things in the Graves but I'm sure there were more than that.

I vistited Western Park Museum last Sunday and was taken aback to find a place suitable mainly for toddlers and much of it not relevant to Sheffield. Much smaller towns have better museums with a strong local flavour. Have something great for the children by all means but lets not pretend it's our museum.

Yes I do like the Graves but is only five galleries or so and I expect when the new coffee bar opens in January it will be at the expense of one of the galleries. It would be okay for a large but Sheffield is supposed to be a City. We need something for the residents as well as the locals. And now the national museum of popular music has been reborn in the O2. Perhaps we are trying to give ourselves a reputation of being uncultured northern oiks.

Archived