Squirrels.. Love them or hate them

Squirrels ...Love 'em or loathe 'em?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Squirrels ...Love 'em or loathe 'em?

• Love 'em
    • Loathe 'em
    • I don't have an opinion. Live and let live I say.

But watching them break into your squirrel proof birdfeeders is like the best bit. We give em little obstacle courses, with the food suspended on some string, with other things on the string to make it hard for the squirrels to get along It.

It works mostly and we get plenty birds coming in to feed, any squirrel that does make it pretty much deserves a meal by that point.

True, and I like to see them myself, but my mum (who has the garden - we're in a 3rd floor flat) doesn't because they keep digging up her lawn.

They've also bitten through two of the wire-frame squirrel-proof nut holders. :hihi:

My grandmother in the isle of wight , counts the red squirrels for the animal welfare society there. She goes and sits in a hide and watches them on the ropes high above the road in near parkhurst forest, I went once with her and found it facinating, They are small and very cute maybe not as tame as the ones in the botanical gardens.

My grandmother in the isle of wight , counts the red squirrels for the animal welfare society there. She goes and sits in a hide and watches them on the ropes high above the road in near parkhurst forest, I went once with her and found it facinating, They are small and very cute maybe not as tame as the ones in the botanical gardens.

I assume you mean greys in the botanical gardens - and, no, I don't think red squirrels are as quick to take to humans as are greys.

Out of interest, we often hear about Grey Squirrels being demonised.

Can anyone tell me, why we simply can't die the grey squirrels fur, from grey to red? surely that would be a solution to the problem of grey squirrels.

We die peoples hair blonde to brown or whatever, so we could do this to squirrels.

The only problem I thinl would happen, is if someone put the wrong colour die into the water, and the squirrels came out green or something

I read on article a couple of weeks ago . . apparently there's a crack team of hunters who are travelling from county to county, with councils permission, shooting thousands of grey squirrels. They call themselves "The society of native red squirrel protectors" or something, as if they actually called themselves "English redneck toffs who like to kill" there would be a public outcry. They literally can take out hundreds of grey squirrels in a week. In fact, they boast that they have rid Dorset of the grey squirrel and are heralding there success as our native red is now re-appearing there in huge numbers.

Last I heard, the next county in there sights was Yorkshire.

So if you're a grey squirrel in Sheffield, be aware, be very aware . . .

Archived