Squirrels.. Love them or hate them

Squirrels ...Love 'em or loathe 'em?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Squirrels ...Love 'em or loathe 'em?

• Love 'em
    • Loathe 'em
    • I don't have an opinion. Live and let live I say.

Grey squirrels are cute and lovely but as immigrants I resent the fact they are provided with houses, TVs, playstations and jobs whilst our own Red Squirrels are forced out. I even heard of one case where a red squirrel family was evicted by Greys and when the reds complained they were called racist and were prosecuted by the council.

For Shame!!!!

Out of interest, we often hear about Grey Squirrels being demonised.

Can anyone tell me, why we simply can't die the grey squirrels fur, from grey to red? surely that would be a solution to the problem of grey squirrels.

We die peoples hair blonde to brown or whatever, so we could do this to squirrels.

The only problem I thinl would happen, is if someone put the wrong colour die into the water, and the squirrels came out green or something

:hihi::hihi:

I read on article a couple of weeks ago . . apparently there's a crack team of hunters who are travelling from county to county, with councils permission, shooting thousands of grey squirrels. They call themselves "The society of native red squirrel protectors" or something, as if they actually called themselves "English redneck toffs who like to kill" there would be a public outcry. They literally can take out hundreds of grey squirrels in a week. In fact, they boast that they have rid Dorset of the grey squirrel and are heralding there success as our native red is now re-appearing there in huge numbers.

Last I heard, the next county in there sights was Yorkshire.

So if you're a grey squirrel in Sheffield, be aware, be very aware . . .

I think that if this is true they are wasting a load of time and money that could be put to better use in these hard times.

The point is that squirrels breed like rabbits. They have lots of offsprings that quickly spread out to exploit any available food supply. The numbers around here are large because people put out food for them. If someone came along and got rid of them they would be back in numbers within 6 months, because it is impossible to erradicate them from gardens and woodland.

I think that if this is true they are wasting a load of time and money that could be put to better use in these hard times.

The point is that squirrels breed like rabbits. They have lots of offsprings that quickly spread out to exploit any available food supply. The numbers around here are large because people put out food for them. If someone came along and got rid of them they would be back in numbers within 6 months, because it is impossible to erradicate them from gardens and woodland.

I don't think the councils actually pay these people - I think they just do it for fun or something.

But I agree, you would think that it would be near impossible to completely eradicate them. I assume they are just letting the red have some breathing (or mating!) space.

They grey should be pushed more as a sustainable food source. It's been on a couple of food programmes and I've eaten some myself - they're really nice with a mild but distinct taste. It seems the obvious way forward and the other foreign invaders, such as the spider crab and American crayfish, are seen as prize catches now and fetch decent prices in the markets.

They lovely looking little cuties, but the one who lives near us thinks its great fun to chase my cat up and down the garden!! Yep my big fat tom cat is such a whimp lol, the squrriel has caught him twice resulting in a vist to the vets! (same leg each time) So yep lovely but would rather this one moved on - it's costs me money and my poor cat's nerves are shredded lol

I don't think the councils actually pay these people - I think they just do it for fun or something.

Yes, but as the council won't allow poisons etc to beused in parks or woodland and shooting in such places isout of the question , it does seem like a non starter. They certainly can't access my garden and I am sure most people would feel the same.

Archived