New McKee exhibition - tonight at The Bowery

clipboard

MCKEE LAUNCHES NEW EXHIBITION SUNDAY 23RD NOVEMBER

Pete McKee, the inimitable Sheffield pop artist is set to launch his new exhibition, '22 Views of Sheffield' at The Bowery, with a special event tonight, Sunday 23rd November, which opens to the public from 8pm.

Pete will be talking about his latest work and has invited some guest DJs to help the launch go with a bang.

The brand new collection of 22 original pieces is a personal rather than scenic view of the Steel City and subjects will include '2p bus ride into town', 'Fish Tank', 'Live at the Hallamshire' and 'Kids in the Peace Gardens'.

Monday 24th November marks the start of the McKee treasure hunt as he is hanging 15"x15" prints from the new collection in a hand picked selection of eight local businesses in the West St and Devonshire Quarter area of the city.

The first eagle-eyed sleuth to correctly identify the eight locations of the prints and email them to Pete at pete@therealmckee.co.uk will win a signed and personalised limited edition copy of his 'Posh Book' which comprises all '22 views'.

McKee said: "I'm a great believer in exhibiting my art in places where you can buy beer and the chance to do a show at The Bowery was an opportunity I couldn't refuse.

"This is my first ever exhibition where every painting is about Sheffield and some of the topics require you to be born and bred here.

"The exhibition is a journey from the rose tinted 70's, through the neon 80's and ending in the shiny steel present."

'22 Views of Sheffield' will also be available as a limited edition, signed and numbered book. Limited to a run of just 200, 'The Posh Book' can be pre-ordered now from Pete's new website http://www.therealmckee.co.uk

The exhibition runs November 24th - December 23rd at The Bowery, Sheffield's exciting new bar and lifestyle venue.

"The paintings are pretty personal accounts of Sheffield but I did get my memory jogged by a few people!" said McKee, who has recently taken commissions from Oasis and Arctic Monkeys.

Inspiration for '22 Views...' came from Katsushika Hokusai's '36 Views of Mount Fuji', a series of woodblock prints created between 1826 and 1833 by the Japanese artist.

Popular in the West, it is one of the most well known Japanese art works due the widespread pop-culture reproduction of The Great Wave of Kanagawa (the first picture in the series) into posters, t-shirts and postcards.

Go to http://www.therealmckee.co.uk for information and updates from the world of McKee.

Archived