Looking for info about boxer Gus Platts

Paula G

Paula my neighbour is the ex-boxers association president and hes come up with the following info on your grandad.

Augustus T Platts (Gus Platts 1891-1943) Born Heavygate Rd, Walkley, Upperthorpe. Wrestled over 200 bouts, British European Champion, toured USA a couple of times, had a film part in The Referee. Became manager and promoter, known as Mr Sheffield Boxing. All info in the book, Boxing in South Yorkshire by Ronnie Wharton. Whilst on tour in usa gus attended the first million dollar fight between Jack Dempsey vs George Carpentier at Bayles 30 acres arena, New Jersey where over 126,000 people attended. Dempsy winning by KO 4th round. My neighbour still has the the program of that event which gus family gave to him in 1958. He also has a collection of photos of your grandad and boxing bills from shows he promoted in the 1930s in sheffield. Hope this is of help, and if you want anymore info ill be only be too pleased to pass your address on.

Thanks so much Fifi 11. That's great stuff - Gus's sister, my great Aunt Grace had a bit of a crush on Georges Carpentier I think - she talked about him a lot. Please pass on my thanks and best wishes to your neighbour. Paul

gus platts did indeed lose to basham,they fought quite a few times with basham winning most of them,gus winning just the one,gus had the blue boar at west bar in the days of the mooney gang,on one occassion ushering a few of em out with the command" YOU...OUT.......YOU...OUT...AND YOU AS WELL .....OUT,DONT COME BACK TILL YOU CAN BEHAVE!" The blokes left without as much as one word of backchat,nor was any retribution forthcoming.

The opinion was that if Gus had been blessed with longer arms,he may have held the title for longer,or gone on to fight for world honours,as im under 50,i cant offer an opinion,but Gus had a special place in the hearts of a lot of the elderly i worked with.

Thanks, okismoki - I knew he owned the Blue Boar, but I'd never heard of the Mooney Gang, so I'll try and find out more (searching family history can become addictive!. Best wishes, Paula

Thanks, okismoki - I knew he owned the Blue Boar, but I'd never heard of the Mooney Gang, so I'll try and find out more (searching family history can become addictive!. Best wishes, Paula

never heard of the mooney gang???? they are famous in sheffield history,from the stories i,ve been told,gus was one of the few people who wouldn,t let them intimidate him,ah,just seen your location is sydney,thats why you aint heard of em.

Paula, this is brilliant news re Tony Stephens. If you get confirmation, do send me details (by PM if you wish).

Redfyre, I've had an email from Tony, and it's obviously the same person - he was on the Sheffield Tele from 64 to 66. Do you want to email me your details on pgoodyer@bigpond.net.au and I can pass them on to him if you like. Paula

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Gus Platts aka The Sheffield Blade

Won 13 (4 by KO)

Lost 20

Drawn 4

Rounds boxed 534.

Full stats at : http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=51678&cat=boxer

What is amazing is that back then when he lost to Johnny Basham at the Royal Albert Hall it was twenty, three minute rounds and he went the distance losing on points.

Edited by darylslinn