Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Originally posted by mikey

I went down Hagg Hill at the weekend, it is nowhere near as steep as some others mentioned.

Bishops Court Rd

Kent Rd

Myrtle Rd are all steeper

These are all roads around Heeley and Meersbrook

The reason you have to go into 1st on Hagg Hill is because of the bend half way up and you loose your speed.

Maybe we could form a society and do Steep Hill walks and then pop for a pint afterwards.

What's the simplest device for measure steepness?

Oversize protractor and builders 'bit of string and lead weight' thingie?

Measuring the length of the road and counting contour lines to give an average climb rather than a “spot figure” over a couple or three meters gave these results. Blake Street has no undulations to speak of and so the figure is constant over its whole length. These results may be subject to change.

Hagg Hill rises 49 meters in 310 meters = 15.8% (Long Lane to Den Bank Drive)

Blake Street rises 30 meters in 200 meters = 15%

Jenkin Road rises 110 meters in 800 meters = 13% (Hollywell Rd. to Fort Hill Rd.)

Highcliffe Road rises 90 meters in 700 meters = 12.8% (Whitely Wood Rd. to High Storrs Rd.)

Lodge Lane rises 100 meters in 800 meters =12.5%

Kent Road rises 30 meters in 300 meters = 10% (Upper Valley Rd to Shirebrook Rd.)

This makes Blake Street, as someone said, the steepest residential road in Sheffield although as Hagg Hill is marked on the map with a chevron as being particularly steep, then I suppose it has to take top honours for being the steepest suburban Sheffield road?

I think that maybe if there isn’t a chevron marked on the map or there isn’t a steep hill sign on the road itself then perhaps the road may not be a contender for the title “Steepest Hill in Sheffield.”

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Graham

Corrected 12:16 19/11/2005

Hi Pintof,

Hagg Hill is marked with a chevron on the Ordnance Survey map, meaning it is steeper in places than Blake Street. Lodge Lane, Tinker Lane, and Highcliffe Road are also are also similarly marked and in places are steeper than Blake Street.

Tinker Lane, Highcliffe Road and Blake Street are all residential roads while Hagg Hill has allotments on either side and a riding stable near the top.

I suppose it depends to some extent on how you calculate it but however you do it Blake Street is not the steepest when compared with the other roads and it is shorter.

Cheers, Graham.

i lived on bishopscourt for years and we were never allowed a bike or scooter because it was so steep,my brother once borrowed his mates and crashed at bottom got into real trouble,and once a bus took awrong turn at the top and had to come down and got into real problems

Originally posted by mojoworking

Scarsdale Road in Woodseats is a strong contender. In fact there are a few roads along Chesterfield Road in Woodseats that are implausibly steep

Aye, especially Olivet Road up the side of the Carphone Warehouse, gets very steep at the top.

And has anyone else ever seen that road that joins Underwood Road to Chesterfield Road just up from Homebase near the bottom of Scarsdale? Very steep :gag:

• 2 weeks later...