Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

I was thinking historically. :) You are right in as much as Sheffield has extended it’s boundary to take in Bradfield, but until about thirty years ago approximately Bradfield came under Wortly Rural Council. Then under the boundary changes Wortley was done away with and it all became South Yorkshire.

Prior to that Sheffield was in West Yorkshire but Ecclesfield and Bradfield were in Wortly. The boundary was the River Rivelin. One side was Sheffield and the other side was Wortley.

I admit I am working from memory and I tried to phone the archivist for Bradfield council but he isn’t home. Anyway you are correct; it is in Sheffield now, even though Bradfield still manages its own parish affairs.

Cheers :thumbsup:

thanks grahame,looks like we were both correct,depending on which era you want to look in :thumbsup:

Just a little story I was told last week by someone who works for Street Force about a manager they used to have and he wanted to put steps all the way up Blake Street, in fact whenever he saw a steep hill or bank he always wanted to put steps there. So much so it earned him the nickname “steps.” He’s passed away though now.

One road thats been missed on this thread so far

waller road at walkley

it drops down from the bolehills to rivelin valley road oppersite the holly bush

seriously steep especially the bottom section.

On hot days the tar melts and flow down like lava from a volcano

One road thats been missed on this thread so far

waller road at walkley

it drops down from the bolehills to rivelin valley road oppersite the holly bush

seriously steep especially the bottom section.

On hot days the tar melts and flow down like lava from a volcano

I agree and to be honest I nearly posted it. I will count the contour lines sometime. It has to be a very strong contender.

Just done the measurements.

On Blake Street there is a contour line at the bottom followed by two contour lines as you go up and a fourth line at the top.giving a rise of 30 meters. (Each contour line is 10 meters)

Then I marked the length of Blake Street on a piece of paper and placed it on on Bole Hill Road. Going down from Bole Hill Road to Rivelin Valley Road is a clutch of roads that go down the hillside at an angle, otherwise if they went straight down they would be too steep. (Blake Street goes straight down the hillside without contouring) Over the same distance as Blake street there are either 5 or 6 contour lines for the same distance, making Waller Road steeper than Blake Street. Perhaps someone will check it out please?

Yes you are right and Rivelin Road is exceptionally steep. It is difficult to see the contour lines on Rivelin Road so I can't say for sure, all I can say is that the hillside from Rivelin Valley Road to Bole Hill Road is much steeper than the hill from Danial Hill Street to Upperthorpe going down Blake Street. Personally I think Rivelin Road beats Blake Street for steepness, but that is only by looking at them and I wonder what other people think?

all I can say is that the hillside from Rivelin Valley Road to Bole Hill Road is much steeper than the hill from Danial Hill Street to Upperthorpe going down Blake Street.

You're quite right on that Grahame - the thing is as I think you stated in an earlier post is that Blake Street goes straight up the hill. Rivelin Road goes at a tangent to the main gradient - you simply couldn't have a road that steep - then does a sharp (and exceptionally steep) turn onto Waller - the bottom end of which again goes at a tangent to the main slope.

Have driven all these fairly regularly - the frightening thing about Blake Street is that the top bit is almost convex, so going down the hill you can't see the lower half of the road!

Have driven all these fairly regularly - the frightening thing about Blake Street is that the top bit is almost convex, so going down the hill you can't see the lower half of the road!

TBH I've no problem with Blake St, except for the double parking (especially @ the top):D.