Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

When I was 15 I lived at the top of Riverlin Street in Walkley at the junction with Bell Hagg Road.

I used to see a lass who lived on the Marchwood Estate in Stannington (above Shooters Hill school) I had to be home each night by 11pm and I used to leave her house at twelve minutes to eleven and run home and make it on time for 11. So by the time I got to the bottom of Hollins Lane (Holly Bush) I still had Riverlin Road, Robertson Drive and Riverlin Street to contend with. But I used to manage it no problem. And they were VVVV steep.

Blimey, nowadays I get stitch playing Chess.

Great days they were though, fit as a fiddle !!

Anyone who know's the route I am talking about should realise how bloody hard it is to run it in 12 mins.

I took my car up it a few months back and couldn't beleive I used to do it !

By heck you must have been fit.

I used to live on Daniel Hill Street and jog up Blake Street after swimming at Upperthorpe Baths - I get exhausted even thinking about it these days.

Indeed there is.

For the purposes of this thread I think everyone means the Hagg Hill from Rivelin up to Bole Hill Road.

Up until a couple of years ago, I used to regularly see the same cyclist, in the morning. Based on the different places I saw him (I was commuting by car in the opposite direction), he travelled from (at least) Malin Bridge, along Rivelin Valley Road, up Hagg Hill. I also saw him on Hangingwater Road, travelling down towards the Porter, so he probably went up Highcliffe Road as well. It tired me out every time I saw him.

In passing, as a kid in the 50s and 60s, we always knew Rivelin Valley Road as Rivelin New Road. I was an adult before I knew its proper name. Did other people know it as Rivelin New Road, or was it just our family?

Edit - I've just thought of another short but nasty hill (sorry if it's already been mentioned, I've not read all the thread). Further out on Rivelin Valley Road, a short steep hill up to the pub. I've forgotten its name, I think the road the pub's on is called tofts lane.

Up until a couple of years ago, I used to regularly see the same cyclist, in the morning. Based on the different places I saw him (I was commuting by car in the opposite direction), he travelled from (at least) Malin Bridge, along Rivelin Valley Road, up Hagg Hill. I also saw him on Hangingwater Road, travelling down towards the Porter, so he probably went up Highcliffe Road as well. It tired me out every time I saw him.

In passing, as a kid in the 50s and 60s, we always knew Rivelin Valley Road as Rivelin New Road. I was an adult before I knew its proper name. Did other people know it as Rivelin New Road, or was it just our family?

Rivelin Vally Road, this is from memory you understand, was constructed in the 1920/30 during the depression to provide work for the unemployed. The trees lining the road either side were planted for when Queen Victoria came to open the NEW ROAD. So yes you were correct to call it that.

As you know Rivelin Valley Road begins at Malin Bridge and that is where Stannington Road also begins and before Rivelin Vally Road was built the way to Hollow Meadows was to go up Stannington Road and to drop down Rails Road. The reason for this is that the pack horses always kept to the high ground because the valley bottoms were always wet and muddy and you try pulling a horse and cart along through deep muddy ruts, whereas higher up the ground was dryer and the soil was thinner meaning the sandstone came to the surface making it much firmer.

I hope that helps answer your question.

P.S. The same over Curbar and Froggatt Edges which were also packhorse routes.

I went up Blake Street, yesterday, and my god!!! I drive a 1.4 Renault Scenic, and I could'nt get into 2nd gear!!!

i went up blake street on tuesday,and the hill i would say is the steepist in sheffield,i drive around sheffield allday doing removals in a ford transit luton and i tell you my van struggles going up that hill,the thing is you can get a run at most hills but not this one,jenkin road may be steep but you can get some speed up going from the bottom, --------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

luton van n driver hire

• 3 months later...

I've been having this discussion with mate for years: he says Jenkin Road, I reckon it is New Mill Bank from Ewden to Bolsterstone. Anyway, after looking at maps and not being able to decide, I recruited good o' Google Earth and managed to pinpoint it a little more accurately! Some were hard to do as they undulate and twist, but you can draw a path round the roads, and even tilt the map to see the terrain. Due to this, I have given a few different measurements for each

New Mill Bank: highest to lowest point, 130m in 971m = 13.4%. Max 14/72 = 19%

Jawbone Hill (Oughtibridge Lane): from Birley stone to lowest point 140/1585 = 8.8%. Max 9/64 = 14%

Blake Street: total (and high to low point) 26/185 = 14.1%. Max 15/75 = 20%

Kent Road: high to low point 22/181 = 12.2%. Max 13/75 =17%

Lodge Lane: total 97/1115 = 8.7%. Optimum 97/765 = 12.7%. Max 18.2%

Jenkin Road: High to low 103/1096 = 9.4%. Max 15/95 = 15.8%

West Hill: high to low 56/656 = 8.1%. Optimum 43/380 = 11.3%. Max = 12.5% (but I am sure this is steeper!)

Hagg Hill, Rivelin: total, and higest to lowest 56/274 = 20.4%. Max 32/135 = 23.7% (top to halfway)

Myrtle Road didnt go above 10% anywhere, Upper to Lower Bradfield averaged about 14%, and Stockthorne Gap in Wharncliffe Woods has a section at 23.6%. I think the winner is, without a doubt... Hagg Hill!

Very sad, but keeps my insomnia happy ;-)