Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Revised figures.

Hagg Hill (not old Sheffield) 17.1% gradient.

Wellfield Road = 14.9% gradient.

Blake Street = 12.4% gradient.

Upperthorpe from Commonside to the bottom of Blake Street 11% gradient.

Jenkin Road = From Tyler St/Holywell Rd to the highest part just past Forthill Road 10% gradient.

Mount Road at Neepsend has a gradient of 10%.

Alpine Road 10% gradient.

Highcliffe Road from the Porter Brook to High Storrs Road 10% gradient.

Lodge Lane (not part of old Sheffield) 9.4% gradient.

Whitehouse Lane = 9% gradient.

Stewart Road = 9% gradient.

Bates Street = 8% gradient.

Oughtibridge Lane from the river to just past the Birley Stone has a gradient of 8%.

Kent Road between Rushdale Road and Nicholson Road 7%

Going by the contour lines on my OS map both Blake Street and Wellfield Road rise by 25 meters, but Blake Street is 193 meters long while Wellfield Road is only 134 meters long and being the shorter of the two Wellfield Road is the steepest. Google Earth gives slightly different figures for the height which may be more accurate.

Wellfield 25/134*100 = 18% gradient. (Paper map)------Google Earth 20/134*100 = 14.9%.

Blake 25/193*100 = 13% gradient. (Paper map)---------Google Earth 24/193*100 = 12.4%.

Red is the rise in metres and blue is the length of the road in metres. The height is not as clear on the paper map so I would go with Google Earth. :)

Thank you Grahame - very interesting bit of work. Your time and effort much appreciated.

Knowing both Blake Street and Wellfield Road very well I'd still rather walk up Wellfield Road - Blake Street has a profile close to convex for the top 2/3 rds although it does have an easier gradient towards the bottom.

Ditto driving - can do Wellfield in second gear but normally have to go down to first on Blake Street around Boyce Street.

I think we can safely say Sheffield has the most steepest hills of any city in the country.

I did the same a couple of years back with Google Earth (post 290) and got the following:

New Mill Bank: highest to lowest point, 130m in 971m = 13.4%. Max 14/72 = 19%

Jawbone Hill (Oughtibridge Lane): from Birley stone to lowest point 140/1585 = 8.8%. Max 9/64 = 14%

Blake Street: total (and high to low point) 26/185 = 14.1%. Max 15/75 = 20%

Kent Road: high to low point 22/181 = 12.2%. Max 13/75 =17%

Lodge Lane: total 97/1115 = 8.7%. Optimum 97/765 = 12.7%. Max 18.2%

Jenkin Road: High to low 103/1096 = 9.4%. Max 15/95 = 15.8%

West Hill: high to low 56/656 = 8.1%. Optimum 43/380 = 11.3%. Max = 12.5% (but I am sure this is steeper!)

Hagg Hill, Rivelin: total, and higest to lowest 56/274 = 20.4%. Max 32/135 = 23.7% (top to halfway)

Oughtibridge Lane starts at the bridge after the Pheasant not at the river.

It is Station Lane from the river which turns left before the bridge.

Hi jaffa, I was looking at the hill from the bottom to the top and the river was the lowest point. I just needed a name tag that was all but yes, you are right and I didn't mean to upset anyone, sorry. :)

Edited by Grahame

Thank you Grahame - very interesting bit of work. Your time and effort much appreciated.

Knowing both Blake Street and Wellfield Road very well I'd still rather walk up Wellfield Road - Blake Street has a profile close to convex for the top 2/3 rds although it does have an easier gradient towards the bottom.

Ditto driving - can do Wellfield in second gear but normally have to go down to first on Blake Street around Boyce Street.

I think we can safely say Sheffield has the most steepest hills of any city in the country.

Hi Longcol, you are right about the change in gradient, I took the top and bottom heights and divided by the length of the road for the average climb. Cheers.

Edited by Grahame

Winnats climbs 185m over it 1.3km lengthh, so the average gradient is 14.2%

The middle 800m section averages over 20%, with the steepest 100m section reaching 28%.

Thanks probably explains why it nearly kills me everytime I cycle up it lol.

Winnats climbs 185m over it 1.3km lengthh, so the average gradient is 14.2%

The middle 800m section averages over 20%, with the steepest 100m section reaching 28%.

My figures are slightly different. Perhaps because I have taken it over 1.89k and a climb of 207 metres instead of your 185m climb over 1.3k :)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/grahamkirkby/WinnatsPass6.jpg

Edited by Grahame