Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

West Hill is very steep too, not sure if it would be classed as one of the steepest. the bottom part of the hill is like a vertical drop!

West Hill is steep.

From Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St it rises from 64m to 132m = 68metres over a distance of 650 metres which gives a gradient of: 68/650*100=10.4%

West Hill is steep.

From Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St it rises from 64m to 132m = 68metres over a distance of 650 metres which gives a gradient of: 68/650*100=10.4%

Grahame, have you tried using the OS maps to draw profiles like this?

Edited by Phanerothyme

Grahame, have you tried using the OS maps to draw profiles like this?

I have seen that done for the Tour de France and I wanted to do it for my cycling books but didn't know how. I have seen it done with Google Earth but again am unsure how to do it. It is ideal for walks as well.

When I retire next birthday (67) I will give it a try if not before? Thanks for the tip, if you find anything else perhaps you will let me know please. Thanks.

My guess would Myrtle Rd Heeley, used to have to walk up it to school.

It's definitely not Myrtle Road, I lived up the top of it, it's not really steep it's just long!

I was always told that Blake Street is the steepest hill in Sheffield and that that was fact. Certainly seemed it although it was a short hill. Kent road is mighty steep too though! Who knows :hihi:

I have seen that done for the Tour de France and I wanted to do it for my cycling books but didn't know how. I have seen it done with Google Earth but again am unsure how to do it. It is ideal for walks as well.

When I retire next birthday (67) I will give it a try if not before? Thanks for the tip, if you find anything else perhaps you will let me know please. Thanks.

Just follow the instructions on the link - works every time.

If your journey is not in a straight line (and not many are) then you need to divide the route into the smallest number of straight legs, and then rotate the map so your height bars are aligned with the grid for each leg.

I find that a sheet of acetate is good if you're not using a computer to do layout.

Just follow the instructions on the link - works every time.

If your journey is not in a straight line (and not many are) then you need to divide the route into the smallest number of straight legs, and then rotate the map so your height bars are aligned with the grid for each leg.

I find that a sheet of acetate is good if you're not using a computer to do layout.

I had an idea. How about this. Blake St and Wellfield Rd compared. I could have smoothed the lines out but never mind. It looks as though Blake St is the steeper of the two from the bottom end then it levels out. I took the spot height every 20 meters and plotted it on a graph.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/grahamkirkby/BlakeSt.png

Edited by Grahame