Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Not sure if you'd class it as a road, but between the supertram track across the back of the station and Park Hill flats there is a wide stretch of cobbles going allmost directly up the hill! Not sure if it's the remains of some ancient roadway, but it sure is steep!

But Kent Road in Meersbrook is so steep I'm always afraid that the car will topple over backwards when I drive up it in first gear.

I keep thinking of getting a bank loan and opening a climbing gear shop at the bottom of the hill.

I would be able to retire in no time.

Actually, another contender, although not actually in Sheffield itself, must be parts of the Jawbone Hill between Grenoside and Outibridge.

Originally posted by andy1702

Not sure if you'd class it as a road, but between the supertram track across the back of the station and Park Hill flats there is a wide stretch of cobbles going allmost directly up the hill! Not sure if it's the remains of some ancient roadway, but it sure is steep!

It's called Gilbert street, IIRC, and it's actually a bridge, over the railway cuttings from the Midland Station.

there are roads / paths on the hillside nearby to that roadway, which show the routes of the old roads where old back to back houses were in the old "park" district. Even steeper than Gilbert Street is the path from the supertram track, up towards the three Claywood estate high-rise stand empty. that's nigh on vertical.

I remember walking up that path to the sweet factory at the top and buying boiled sweet fishes, as we were on our way to my Granny's (she lived on Park Hill).

Whoops, as I type this post, I realised something!!! I think I have gotten the location of the path in your post mistaken/mixed up, with you saying supertram-and-Park Hill. (it's supertram and Claywood, really) there are two steep paths along that stretch of hillside, and two more less steep ones.

I think that the path I have just referred to in the 2nd part of my reply is the one you meant, not Gilbert street, as I mistakenly thought. That path actually linked up, in days of yore, down by where supertram runs now, to a pedestrian bridge, which carried foot passengers from Granville Street, over the station itself to where the new car park is, by turner street.

NB, Granville street is now covered by the section of Supertram track which runs directly alonside the rear od the rail station.

There are photographs of the midland train station in many books of old Sheffield. on a lot of them you can make out the old slums in the background, and the church which perched on the middle of that hill.