Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Suprised Lodge lane was not up there.

Been up most on the bike and winnats still the hardest. (not Sheff I know)

If you look back to post #487 you'll see the gradient for Lodge Lane - doesn't get to 10%.

If you look back to post #487 you'll see the gradient for Lodge Lane - doesn't get to 10%.

Who's "Top Ten"? Are you still using the "a bloke down the pub said" method of evaluation? You might want a quick glance at my previous post. Grahame, the all knowing gradient guru was obviously something of a fantasist. His randomly plucked figures are a nonsense. Please stop using them as proof of any kind. It's insulting everyone's intelligence.

How are people determining what is the steepest road in Sheffield. Is it overall average gradient of the road or is it the road that has the steepest section in it, even if that is only a very small part of the overall length of the road.

How are people determining what is the steepest road in Sheffield. Is it overall average gradient of the road or is it the road that has the steepest section in it, even if that is only a very small part of the overall length of the road.

I think for the greater part of the thread (which began nearly 10 years ago) we've been using overall average gradient (as measured using O/S maps and/or google earth) - although some very steep sections on particular roads have been mentioned.

I think for the greater part of the thread (which began nearly 10 years ago) we've been using overall average gradient (as measured using O/S maps and/or google earth) - although some very steep sections on particular roads have been mentioned.

That explains where the ridiculous figures quoted as "facts" have come from then. Google Earth has massive errors when estimating elevation and to scale from a map, OS or otherwise, will give you an extremely approximate answer.

Probably more accurate to walk up it and see how out of breath you get.

That explains where the ridiculous figures quoted as "facts" have come from then. Google Earth has massive errors when estimating elevation and to scale from a map, OS or otherwise, will give you an extremely approximate answer.

Probably more accurate to walk up it and see how out of breath you get.

Well seeing as you're the one making all the song and dance about what everyone else has been happy with, get your walking boots on and come back with your results :cool:

I don't know the answer for certain however the most annoying is Hagg Hill when people insist on stopping at the top and then cause a tailback while they struggle to set off again

Or worse when they start to go, miss their gear and come to a halt half way around the junction

I don't know the answer for certain however the most annoying is Hagg Hill when people insist on stopping at the top and then cause a tailback while they struggle to set off again

Or worse when they start to go, miss their gear and come to a halt half way around the junction

About 6 or 7 years ago I stopped behind a car which had stopped at the top. Despite leaving a big gap behind it (at least a car length), he managed to slide back into me - it felt like quite a bump. Also, his car had a towing ball. Luckily, the ball slotted neatly into a cut out on the front of my car, so no actual damage. But I now leave an even bigger gap if following anyone up the hill.