Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

The steepest road in Sheffield is without question Bishops court road Meersbrook,a road most people will never have heard of let alone walked up.

I remember the old road signs indicating the steepness of the hill & I'm pretty sure Bishops Court Rd was rated at 1:4 1/2, either way it used to scare the sh*te out of me going down there on my mate's homemade box-cart.

As for Cobnar Rd, that was pretty steep at the top although all the roads leading up from Chesterfield Rd to Hackthorn Rd were steep. I used to have a paper round up & down all those streets & I can clearly remember cars parked on Nettleham Rd with bricks stuck behind their wheels to stop them running back down (brakes weren't that reliable 50 yrs ago)!

Wish I still had that round, I'm sure I'd still be no more than 11 stone!

I remember the old road signs indicating the steepness of the hill & I'm pretty sure Bishops Court Rd was rated at 1:4 1/2, either way it used to scare the sh*te out of me going down there on my mate's homemade box-cart.

As for Cobnar Rd, that was pretty steep at the top although all the roads leading up from Chesterfield Rd to Hackthorn Rd were steep. I used to have a paper round up & down all those streets & I can clearly remember cars parked on Nettleham Rd with bricks stuck behind their wheels to stop them running back down (brakes weren't that reliable 50 yrs ago)!

Wish I still had that round, I'm sure I'd still be no more than 11 stone!

I have walked up all the roads you mention and can remember when cobner was open right to the top of derbyshire lane , still say bishops court is the steepest.

How about Hanging water Road the bit from the traffic lights at Nethergreen to the School at the top of the hill whose name escapes me.

I used to road run to a good standard and to my knowledge there were only two roads I never conquered, one being Hanging Water Road and the other the killer Hagg Hill at Rivelin and that was steep! mind you it still is in a car...

How about Hanging water Road the bit from the traffic lights at Nethergreen to the School at the top of the hill whose name escapes me.

I used to road run to a good standard and to my knowledge there were only two roads I never conquered, one being Hanging Water Road and the other the killer Hagg Hill at Rivelin and that was steep! mind you it still is in a car...

Hangingwater Rd from Oakbrook leads to High Storrs school.

I have ran up it at least once, doing a circuit from Fulwood village. I think the entire run took just over 20 mins but this was when I was 20!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Nethergreen Primary? I walked up there a few months ago and I don't remember it being steep. Both Hagg Hill and Blake Street are so frightening I daren't cycle down them as I know I wouldn't be able to stop at the bottom. Walking down is difficult without inadvertently breaking into a jog.

Don't know if this has been said but Victoria Street in Stocksbridge is the steepest. It's almost vertical at the top! And this from someone who drives up Hagg Hill every day!

The hand rail is often needed just to get down