Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

There was a good website on this. Will try and find it.

You first have to decide what qualifies as a road and whether its in sheffield.

It would have been spectacular to have seen the TDF go up Haghill.

Heres a list I found

These are the Top Ten steepest hills for the Sheffield area.

Hagg Hill (not old Sheffield) gradient 17.1%.

Victoria Street, Stocksbridge (not old Sheffield) gradient 14.85%.

Blake Street, gradient, 12.79%.

Wellfield Road, gradient 12.5%.

Fir Street, gradient 11.26%.

Cobnar Road (top part) gradient 11.25%.

Upperthorpe, gradient 11%.

Winnats Pass Derbyshire (between the two Mam Tor roads) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.91%.

West Hill Rotherham (from Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.4%.

Jenkin Road (From Tyler St/Holywell Rd to the highest part just past Forthill Road) gradient 10%.

Winnats pass has a fairly large section of extreme gradient well over 20%

Have done most on here on the bike including Hagg and Lodge lane and the extreme steepens section feels much longer on Winnatts.

Have done most on here on the bike including Hagg and Lodge lane and the extreme steepens section feels much longer on Winnatts.

Thing with Winnats it all depends on where you measuring it from. Taking it from the junction of the 2 Mam Tor roads like 999tigger posted then it does give a slightly false impression of how steep it really is giving you an average of just under 11%

Take it between the 2 sets of cattle grids then it's incredibly steep at 20%

Thing with Winnats it all depends on where you measuring it from. Taking it from the junction of the 2 Mam Tor roads like 999tigger posted then it does give a slightly false impression of how steep it really is giving you an average of just under 11%

Take it between the 2 sets of cattle grids then it's incredibly steep at 20%

Exactly and in parts over 25%

Its talked about a lot on the biking forums and the general view is there are longer hills and there are hills with steeper sections but what makes it unusual is the extreme bit goes on for longer than most others.

On my regular commute, by car, I often used to see a chap commuted by bike in the opposite direction. On different days I'd see him anywhere between Holme Lane and Hangingwater Rd. His commute included Hagg Hill and up to Crosspool, and presumably Highcliffe Rd. I've not seen him for a few years, though.

It seems odd a question that looks so easily provable (it's just elevation/length after all) is proving so hard to settle on.

I think we are actually talking about several different questions here:

1) Which road contains the steepest gradient?

This is quite easily provable in principle, it's just a matter of finding survey data or spot heights. Look at the data, find where the highest gradient occurs, job done. Harder to judge subjectively of course.

Contenders are Jenkin Rd, Wincobank; Kent Rd, Heeley (closed section); Wellfield Rd, Upperthorpe; maybe the top of Cobnar Rd, Woodseats. Anything less than 20% won't cut it here.

1a) Which road contains the steepest 50m/ 100m/ 500m section?

This is a more accurate measure of the 'real-world' steepness of a road, but somewhat arbitrary since you can draw the line wherever you like. Slightly harder to work out too.

2) Which road contains the greatest difference in elevation?

Should be quite easily provable, but what do you call a road? Roads can have several different names along their length, either where old roads have been realigned into a new route or where villages (each with its own High St, Main St, Church St etc.) have merged into suburbs.

Contenders could include City Road (if you cheat and count Duke St), A57/Manchester Road (if you call it that all the way to Moscar), Twentywell Lane, Derbyshire Lane, Prince of Wales Rd and Ringinglow Rd. I think Ringinglow has to take the prize to be honest, as IIRC it climbs to well over 400 metres, still with that name and still in Sheffield.

3) More for the cyclists/ runners/ walkers - what is the hardest climb in Sheffield?

More subjective as lots of things can make a climb hard, from tight turns to prevailing winds to bad surfaces.

Jenkin is obviously up there; then there's Hagg Hill to Crosspool, Twentywell Lane, Stannington via Hollins Lane, Stannington via Spout Lane ...

4) Lastly, out of interest, what do you reckon is the longest continuous climb in Sheffield?

An extension of (2), not too hard, just pick a route up a hill!

It probably comes down to Hunter's Bar-summit of Ringinglow Rd; West Bar-Lodge Moor via Broomhill; Malin Bridge-Rivelin-A57 to Moscar. But then we're getting away from the question of steepness entirely - none of these are particularly challenging climbs, they're just long...

The climb out past Ringinglow is no big deal, however ask people to cycle up Hagg Hill, Cobnar or Jenkin Road and then you'll see people get off and push.

It's how hard it is not how high.

My top five, in order of how tough I find them on my bike: (no idea which is the steepest!). Not sure these all strictly count as Sheffield hills....

1. Ewden Bank (aka Deliverance) on the Strines Road

2. Hagg Hill

3. Low Bradfield to High Bradfield

4. Back Lane (Loxley Road to Kirk Edge Road)

5. Lodge Lane

I've done Jenkin too - didn't find it difficult, I did wonder what all the fuss was about when I got to the top. Its only properly steep for one small section to be honest.

Well while we're moving out of Sheffield, some of the hills in San Francisco are absolutely laughable.

Some of the streets are so steep, the pavements have to have steps up them, and the cars have to park at 90 degrees, facing the pavement to avoid rolling down the hill.

Absolutely stupid. Makes Sheffield look like Amsterdam.

When parking down a steep hill i turn the wheels slightly i to the kerb then take the keys out to lock the steering and leave it in reverse. Dont trust handbrakes!!!

my mates handbrake come off and the car rolled down into a wall on tipton st wincobank a few yrs ago