Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

These are the Top Ten steepest hills for the Sheffield area.

Hagg Hill (not old Sheffield) gradient 17.1%.

Victoria Street, Stocksbridge (not old Sheffield) gradient 14.85%.

Blake Street, gradient, 12.79%.

Wellfield Road, gradient 12.5%.

Fir Street, gradient 11.26%.

Cobnar Road (top part) gradient 11.25%.

Upperthorpe, gradient 11%.

Winnats Pass Derbyshire (between the two Mam Tor roads) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.91%.

West Hill Rotherham (from Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.4%.

Jenkin Road (From Tyler St/Holywell Rd to the highest part just past Forthill Road) gradient 10%.

Taken from http://www.robinhoodloxley.net/mycustompage0039.htm but I'm sure when advertising the cote de Jenkin rd it said parts of the road had a gradient of 25%

Guest makapaka

All the roads up from rivelin to walkley are ridiculous - if you come down to the bridge crossing from stannington and look up it looks like something from a ski resort on opposite side.

Those MapMyRun figures might be a bit suspect - Blake St is a solid 1 in 6 (16.6%), rising 30m in 180. You can count the contour lines on StreetMap or similar!

I think Conduit is about 1 in 8 (12.5%) incidentally. Steep but not really in the running.

Jenkin gets to about 1 in 3 for a short stretch (barely 50m) but most of it is 1:10 to 1:6, so this gets back to the old question, how short does a section have to be to be relevant?

If the criterion is purely steepness then that short bit of Jenkin probably takes it, but Hagg Hill/ Stephen Hill is probably a harder climb on a bike though it is 'only' 1 in 6 at its steepest...

Finally the BBC article was asking for the steepest street in *England* so there's no need to worry about that one in Harlech ;-)

Guest busdriver1
These are the Top Ten steepest hills for the Sheffield area.

Hagg Hill (not old Sheffield) gradient 17.1%.

Victoria Street, Stocksbridge (not old Sheffield) gradient 14.85%.

Blake Street, gradient, 12.79%.

Wellfield Road, gradient 12.5%.

Fir Street, gradient 11.26%.

Cobnar Road (top part) gradient 11.25%.

Upperthorpe, gradient 11%.

Winnats Pass Derbyshire (between the two Mam Tor roads) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.91%.

West Hill Rotherham (from Droppingwell Rd to Poucher St) (not Sheffield) gradient 10.4%.

Jenkin Road (From Tyler St/Holywell Rd to the highest part just past Forthill Road) gradient 10%.

Taken from http://www.robinhoodloxley.net/mycustompage0039.htm but I'm sure when advertising the cote de Jenkin rd it said parts of the road had a gradient of 25%

I suspect those figures are averages for the entire length of the roads in Question. West Hill is certainly steeper than 10.4% on the 2 steepest parts. Either that or they are just plain wrong.

From the ones I have seen or on here and measured on Mapmyrun. The results are:

Rivelin Bank 13.33%

Blake St 12.38%

Rivelin St 11.94%

Kent Rd 10.83%

Fern Road 9.26%

Jenkin Road 8.37%

Myrtle Rd 8.33%

If you can run up any of those, you have my deepest respect! (From someone who routinely crawls back up Walkley Bank after running down Rivelin!)

Those MapMyRun figures might be a bit suspect - Blake St is a solid 1 in 6 (16.6%), rising 30m in 180. You can count the contour lines on StreetMap or similar!

I think Conduit is about 1 in 8 (12.5%) incidentally. Steep but not really in the running.

Jenkin gets to about 1 in 3 for a short stretch (barely 50m) but most of it is 1:10 to 1:6, so this gets back to the old question, how short does a section have to be to be relevant?

If the criterion is purely steepness then that short bit of Jenkin probably takes it, but Hagg Hill/ Stephen Hill is probably a harder climb on a bike though it is 'only' 1 in 6 at its steepest...

Finally the BBC article was asking for the steepest street in *England* so there's no need to worry about that one in Harlech ;-)

I think you are right, when I measured on google earth the gradient of Rivelin Bank came out at over 20%. Hopefully though the error is consistent and so Rivelin bank is the steepest I can think of.

EDIT: the figures Map My Run comes out with are 26m over 210m for Blake St.

---------- Post added 12-01-2017 at 15:23 ----------

If you can run up any of those, you have my deepest respect! (From someone who routinely crawls back up Walkley Bank after running down Rivelin!)

I used to regularly run up Rivelin Bank, Walkley Bank Road, Racker Way etc.

Edited by biotechpete