Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

Lickszz

Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?  

1,087 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the steepest road in Sheffield?

• Blake Street
    • Kent Road
    • Myrtle Road
    • Hagg Hill
    • Jenkin Road

Blake street has been known as the steepest road in Sheffield since at least the forties.I was born there in 1948 and can remember slairing down the footpath(not the road ,as it was cobbled then.Incidently some old friends of mine were on a sledge and went under a vehicle and were killed sometime in the early fifties.Also a horse died by crashing through the shop window at the bottom of Blake street,pushed from behind by the weight of its carriage .That was before my time but my father could remember it.

Ha! Up to a point I suppose. I'm thinking of doing some cycling hill climb events, so getting this kind of detailed data is useful for getting the gearing right.

Also, I think anecdotal stuff about walking up Conduit Rd as a student only gets you so far. I'm lucky enough to have the information and tools to hand, so why not use them?

lot of the nutters on hill climbs ride on fixed for simplicity and less weight . Just a case of finding the right combination .

Edited by WalkleyIan

lot of the nutters on hill climbs ride on fixed for simplicity and less weight . Just a case of finding the right combination .

That was my thinking - if the gradient is fairly constant it kind of works. On something like Jenkin it's a bit borderline - I can ride most of it in the same gear but I'm spinning out a bit at the bottom and top.

To go back to your previous comment about Blake Street, it looks from this map like the steep part of Jenkin wasn't yet built on by then - the housing style seems to bear that out too, it's probably only late-40s. So maybe there's less 'folk memory' of a hill like Jenkin than there is of an older community like Walkley?

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=16&lat=53.4139&lon=-1.4246&layers=10&right=BingHyb

• 1 month later...