African American Servicemen at Wortley during WWII

shovelmonkey

Does anyone know anything about the american servicemen stationed at Wortley Hall during WWII? The troops were here to service a bomb depot - probably the ammunition dump formerly on the site of Grenoside Crematorium.

I'd like to make contact with people who remember this in connection with a Lottery Funded history project being managed by Heeley City Farm.

The records I've found so far suggest that the presence of 2-300 African American servicemen caused quite a stir-

It would be great if you could post anything up here to start a discussion and then I can PM you to follow any leads up.

Cheers

Dan.

I can't remember the exact year but it was in the 40's. Word got around that American troops were working on a bomb site somewhere down toward Spital Hill, bottom end of Andover Street. That only meant one thing to us kids, chewing gum. A few of us made our way down there only to find the place swarming with kids from all over the place, any gum on offer had been taken long ago.

The said troops, about thirty or so, were African-American. They had been levelling the site.

Archived