Central Heating- what's the most efficient way to use it?

It takes less energy to heat a place up and keep it near that temperature than to let it constantly get cold and having to completely reheat a house again.

It does help if you have a good combi boiler and a proper thermostatically controlled setup. Plus use the timer so the heating is only on when you're in the house. Everything works together and with double-glazing, good insulation etc it'll cost bugger all to heat your house :)

Unlike where I live in where I can feel the cold draft coming through the doors, keyholes etc and one of the landladies decided to save a tenner by not putting any underlay in the living room which is above a nice freezing cold cellar. So the bottom 12" of the room above the floor is always ice cold.

My bold and colour: The red contradicts the blue. You do not appear to understand what you are saying!!! The blue is correct; the red is complete and utter nonsense! :loopy:

I'm probably the culprit of this rumour

I hate half tales

IF you live in a victorian house made of two skins of bricks, the inner skin acts as a storage heater. I've run the experiment. Having the heating on long and low (24hs, at 12 degrees, turn it up of an eve and down to go to bed) is cheaper than hammering the boiler and never quite getting the place warm by heating for 4 or five hours in the eve

we also cleared up the mildew problem in the bathroom and kitchen by doing this

if you live in a modern house, don't even think about running the heating non-stop

I'm probably the culprit of this rumour

I hate half tales

IF you live in a victorian house made of two skins of bricks, the inner skin acts as a storage heater. I've run the experiment. Having the heating on long and low (24hs, at 12 degrees, turn it up of an eve and down to go to bed) is cheaper than hammering the boiler and never quite getting the place warm by heating for 4 or five hours in the eve

we also cleared up the mildew problem in the bathroom and kitchen by doing this

if you live in a modern house, don't even think about running the heating non-stop

If you had conducted the experiment scientifically, you would have come to a different conclusion. Besides, your reasoning is defective. Storage heater indeed! :hihi:

If you had conducted the experiment scientifically, you would have come to a different conclusion. Besides, your reasoning is defective. Storage heater indeed! :hihi:
You can believe what you like ;)

Thermodynamics was a module in my engineering degree btw :thumbsup:

It takes less energy to heat a place up and keep it near that temperature than to let it constantly get cold and having to completely reheat a house again.

Could you explain why, within the bounds of the laws of thermodynamics, because I can't.

You can believe what you like ;)

Thermodynamics was a module in my engineering degree btw :thumbsup:

See my previous post then, how do you explain what you've said within the laws of TD?

The higher the temperature gradient the greater the rate of loss of energy. Pretty much end of story unless you know something I don't...

AFAIK boilers work most efficiently when heating the coldest water (temperature gradient again, between the cold water coming in and the flame of the gas combustion), so in theory maintaining a temperature is actually slightly less efficient in the boiler than starting from scratch).

There is always someone in at my house so I have to keep the heating on (one of the people is works odd hours and is often up at night when the rest of us are asleep so I cannot turn off at night etc.). so all the debate about turning it on and off is academic to me. What I want to know is how do I efficiently run my system. What is the best temperature? I live in an Edwardian end of terrace without cavity walls.

At present my heating is on a timer, we live in a larger than average flat above a shop built in aroind 1899 ish , we have the heating set to come on 1 hour in the morning between 5am and 6am it then comes on around 3pm till 11pm , Our heating bill hasn't doubled and its never really cold in here even with the heating off. I should say the bunny shed heating is on 24 hours aday at cost of around £3 per day which is reasobale I feel.

Archived