Central Heating- what's the most efficient way to use it?

But if you keep turning it off the heating system only has to work that much harder to bring the temperature back up to where you have it set, also some people will have a fire going which lowers your thermostat in that one room so the rest of your rooms will be cold...I wouldn't turn mine off , but if I was going away for say a week I would only lower the thermostat .

And you just waste a whole weeks worth of gas for absolutely no reason.

I have a gas furnace in the attic which is controlled by a master thermostat in the hallway. I set it to 78 F which is a comfortable temperature for my wife and self and the thermostat maintains that temperature throught out the house night and day. In summer the thermostat also controls the air conditioning system

The house was built in 1985 and is well insulated so the heating only comes on for short periods of time if the temperature should drop for any reason below 78 degrees. Once it reaches 78 it shuts off automatically. A system like that keeps the gas bills at a reasonable level

We dont have anything that could be called a "real winter" in southern Caliifornia but it can get a bit nippy (around 40 F.) some nights between November and March during the rainy season

Archived