The Rajput Restaurant, Commonside

Welshboyhere

okay, couple of points that without wishing to sound overly negative, should be considered. firsty, they have no alcohol licence - bring your own. personally I think they should inform customers of this when booking. secondly, teething issues I suspect, but a table booked for 10:30 still wasn't available at 11:00. I can't comment on the food or service as with no table and no beer I didn't stay to find out. the staff seemed friendly enough and if others report good experiences i'll be sure to give it a go, but i'll be taking my own beer and turning up well after any booked time.

Just returned from the Rajput. It was packed which was surprising for Sunday night! The service was friendly but could not quite cope with the numbers there, so the food was a little slow to arrive. Poppadums came with a fairly basic set of pickles (surely it does not take much effort to buy in some variants on the onion raita/sloppy lime pickle/mango chutney/yoghurt'n'mint sauce?) but the starters were very good. Main courses were generally pleasing: plenty of meat in dryish sauces, with a reasonable level of spicing (although suffering from the usual problem of the meat being cooked separately from the sauces). The lamb-chops were superb (either plainly tandoor cooked or in a karahai with sauce) and will be my choice on our next visit. Washed down with a couple of bottles of 'Easy Rider', it was a very pleasant experience at a reasonable price. Verdict: above average, especially for Crookes!