Any memories of Crookesmoor School?

1982!! god , now i feel old!!!!! bloody 'ell nearly 30 years ago!!

hiya, my dad went to crooksmoor school not that anyone would remember him he went there from st stephens, then after to western rd he would have been 100 next march so i suppose he went there around 1920 ish his gran lived in oxford st, his home was in bellefield lane, i was reading one of the posts on s/f and mentioned a name of one of his classmates and a reply was from this schoolmates son we were around 72 at the time, small world eh.

• 5 months later...
No he doesn't have a brother but I am his youngest sister and my sister Jean is living in Australia, Ray is now 73 years old.

I have just come across this site. If Ray Bradwell lived on Burns Rd. then he might rember Roy Bower who lived on Roebuck Rd.

• 11 months later...
hi,

yeah my dad was the very first landlord of the boomerang

before that we had the don inn penistone road / opposite rutland road junction but I was born in the first pub the weston park hotel corner of summer st / weston st my elder brother david went to crookesmoor at the same time as tennis player

roger taylor

ye i was born on the canada just off mushroom lane my dad used the weson park hotel my uncle harry fisher used the boomerang. when i went to crooksmoor oaks was the head had some cane off him im 68 next i rem roger taylor coming up 100 steps to go in park to train, i would love to see some pics of pupils at school havent got one sad in it oaksy was the head when i was there had some cane off him any nice to hear from somone from back then sheers vic hargreaves

• 3 months later...
Penny pop!! I'd forgot all about that. What year did you leave crookesmoor?

I remember Mrs Hornsey and Mrs Lecky I was at Crookesmoor in the 80's also remember Mr Richardson, Mr Alright, Mr Perkins, Mrs Rosebottom, Mr Sandilands, Mr Robinson. and the ghost of a female teacher supposed to haunt the school specially the boys toilets.

I used to live at 75 Crookesmoor Road and went to Crookesmoor School until 1951 I am Carol Allwood and my cousins Graham and Trevor Cotterill went until they left School I was only 9 in 1951 but they would have been there u ntil 1963 that would have been Trevor and our Graham would have left about 1960 We lived on the old cobble part with the bomb buildings behind us. Barbara Coe lived next door and then Brain Ronald and Billie Turner Sylvia Spooner lived just below and Pauline Hastings just above and the Family Hoylands on the other side of the road I used to play with Hazel Hoyland

Hi we lived at 93 Crookesmoor Road on the corner of Bond Street, we used to play on the bombed building sites down Oxford street.

I remember those houses where you and the Hoylands/Turners lived, I went to Croockesmoor from 1948-1951, I joined the army in 1966 {York & Lancaster regiment} where two of the Hoylands {Ken & Allan} were already serving.

Hi I was born in 1945 I went to infants first then moved up mr oaks was head then I remember Trevor and all the others you mention I lived on the Canada just off mushroom lane I probably new you as well I remember Valerie baron I was a bit of a little scally them days but I wish they were still hear cheers vic hargreaves

• 1 month later...
Hi Andy (again!)

Pop Edwards took the last class before we all left for secondary school - he was very proud of the fact that some of the kids coming through were kids or grandkids of children he taught many years before - I guess that is a testament to how close knit the communities were back then.

There was also another male teacher - Mr Brecken - the only reason I can remember him was that I once used the word 'pub' instead of 'public house' in an essay - the result? - he gave me the cane!! - you did'nt have to do much to incur wrath back then!! I could have only been about 8 or 9. But it taught me.....I just love drinking in Pubs!!

lol my name is paul grubb and I was at crookesmoor school from 1961 to 1967 or 8 and I remember mr bracken very well a horrible little man and he cained me for not writing my f correctly also the headmaster was a mr oaks another terror lol