Any memories of Crookesmoor School?

hi, i went to crookesmoor school(s) (infants and juniors) till 1974. we lived crookesmoor rd opposite the church.

Hi. Just found this thread...facsinating! I am dave poole if you remember me? lived on warrington rd. was in infants and juniors (1961-1968 then to myers grove.

Hi. Just found this thread...facsinating! I am dave poole if you remember me? lived on warrington rd. was in infants and juniors (1961-1968 then to myers grove.

lol hi dave paul grubb here how can I forget you bloody hell mate long time no see I live on oxford street now I still see Thomas anthonies quite a lot his mom passed away last year and I still see shaun and Adrian and a few of the other guys hit me up on facebook if u on it lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey Paul!....hows things with you? I was in the states for a while before i moved here to Norway 15 years ago....I married me a Norwegian lady 12 yrs ago. I was thinking to make some time to come over to England and look up a few of you guys...a lot to look back on i guess!

well dave its been a long time lol got to be at least 40 years since i last so you god how time flies lol i still see a lot of the old guys and we are in touch a lot so anything you would like to no mate just ask oh my email adress is paulgrubb_56@hotmail.co,uk hope to hear from you soon

I went to Crookesmoor junior school, I remember if everyone in class had the full week without being off hey got extra playtime, once a week. Great in summer, no so in winter, I seem to remember a Mr Oakes I left and then went to Rollestone junior school and he turned up there also.

I would say I was there mid 60's I do remember a lad in my class Eric Thompson, who wore the old round spectacles.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all and docmel

havn't seen this latest thread on crookesmoor. I went to the old place from1954 to 1961. I lived on Cross Addy street. My mother also went when it was girls and boys seperate from about 1932 to 1942 she lived at the time in Wellfield road her maiden name was Thelma Wheeler. My wife lived in Martin Street but never went to Crookesmoor she moved in about 1956 her mother and father were Bill and Mary Ibbotson. Her auntie lived in Hammond hill near to Last orders her maiden name was Elizabeth Ibbotson.

would it be of any good regarding people with relations that either lived around the area or went to Crookesmoor for us to post there namesdates in area and old address. What do you think, i'll set it up on another topic.

I know its a long time since you posted this, but I have only just started searching for Crookesmoor School. I was there from being 5 years old in1955, until circa 1966, when I went to Myers Grove ~ (at Myers Grove I was in class 1B1, Mr Monkman was my teacher) But I digress :loopy: I have never been able to remember much about my time at Crookesmoor, except silly little things like where the toilets were & the horrid lady who stood guard in there; she would give you one piece of hard toilet paper. I also remember the milk bottle silver tops being pushed off the milk bottles, on the cold winter days (those little bottles are no long around thanks to "Maggie Thatcher, school milk snatcher") And another, quite random memory, is of a gate in the school yard that I think lead to somebody's house(maybe the caretaker). The only person I remember is a blonde boy called Philip Conway, we both won passes to go swimming at Upperthorpe Baths ~ I have no idea why we won them, :confused:but we did. I lived on Addy street, opposite the Oxford Cinema, and our back yard was opposite the Upperthorpe Swimming Baths. My name is Susan, maiden name was Boot. I would love to have my memory jogged.

Hi Susan

Derek y here the gate did lead to the caretakers and his daighter Diane Wright was in the same year as us. I think she has died. The last time I saw her she lived at ason and had a guide dog. Have seen her husband around but not her bmust be about 10 years ago. Brian Naylor I have heard has also died

Hello Susan.

Philip Conway lived on Bannon Street about 4/5 houses on the left above Horam Road.

He and his brother were into ballroom dancing big time. Up to national schoolboy level.

You must have lived very close to the sweet shop opposite the Oxford. Do you recall Mrs Solliti who had the corner shop opposite the baths?

Hello Susan.

Philip Conway lived on Bannon Street about 4/5 houses on the left above Horam Road.

He and his brother were into ballroom dancing big time. Up to national schoolboy level.

You must have lived very close to the sweet shop opposite the Oxford. Do you recall Mrs Solliti who had the corner shop opposite the baths?

Hi, first of all Happy Christmas. I didn't know that about Philip (didn't even know he had a brother) , I just remember he always looked clean! ~ The sweet shop was on the end of the gennel that lead to the yard I lived in. We were in the top house. People used to use our house as a walk through to get from Uppethorpe to the Oxford picture house (our front door was opposite Shipton Street). I do recall the lady who had the sweet shop, but can't say I recall her name ~ she always seemed to be dressed in black (probably just a childhood miss-memory) Do you remember the Kay's? they had the sweet shop above our house on Addy Street; just where it met Spingvale Road. I remember Bownes Fishmongers: There was a shop on the corner of Addy Street and Upperthorpe called Badders (The co-op is there now). Round the corner was Daniel Hill fish & chip shop ~ they were, and to my mind still are, the best chips I ever tasted. I used to go and sit in the little bit of garden just above the laundrette (really it was the washhouse) to eat my chips so that my brothers and sisters wouldn't take them off me (I was the youngest) oh happy days!!

---------- Post added 24-12-2013 at 18:48 ----------

Hi Susan

Derek y here the gate did lead to the caretakers and his daighter Diane Wright was in the same year as us. I think she has died. The last time I saw her she lived at ason and had a guide dog. Have seen her husband around but not her bmust be about 10 years ago. Brian Naylor I have heard has also died

Hi Derek, thanks for that about the gate ~ its one of those silly little things thing's that sticks in your mind, and every now and again you think "I wish I knew" So Diane was in the same year as us was she? I am terrible at names. Sorry to hear about Brian, its the same story all the time, people all seem to be either poorly or dead! ~ when did the age thing creep up on us eh? :suspect: Anyway, have a very Happy Christmas

If you remember Kays, then you will remember Dons paper shop, Vernons bakers, the snooker hall and the paper shop at the entrance to the courtyard that connected Sprinvale Road with Upperthorpe that came out at the Cooperage.