Any memories of Crookesmoor School?

I was just rooting through some of my files and I came across these, thought they might be interesting to Sheffielders.

It used to be called ‘mischief’, today it would be called juvenile delinquency and you’d probably wind up in the nick for some of the things that we did. Another time we were right at the Walkley terminus where the city ends and the moorland begins: it was right across the road from the library. Where we were playing, it was a large flat open area but about 100 yards away there was a vertical cliff dropping down into Rivelin valley. Some workmen had been laying cable there, heavy stuff about 1” thick, they’d left a huge drum of it about 6ft in diameter and sitting upright. Of course two mischievous lads would want to give it a push to see if it would roll and of course it did, right over the cliff laying cable out behind it as it crashed down the hillside for what looked like about a quarter mile. We left in a hurry! I've often thought over the years of the poor buggers who were working there, they came in next day to discover that! And how do you haul a quarter mile of cable back up?

There were frequent events and programs designed to create public support for the war, posters everywhere urging us to ‘Dig for Victory’ or beware that ‘Careless talk costs lives’ but in addition there were displays set up on bomb sites around the city. One such, half way down the Moor had a real Lancaster bomber and a real tank! I don’t know what the adults thought but we thought it was wonderful, we’d only ever seen them in either books or films, we’d never seen the real thing up-close before. So we went, but unfortunately there was a catch, an admission cost that we couldn’t afford, one shilling and sixpence. The way it was set up was that you had to buy a one and sixpence saving stamp, put it in your savings book, and then they’d let you in to go inside the Lancaster.

We looked mournful, we stood at the wire fence and drooled and finally the RAF sergeant said “OK you two, I’ll let you in, I’ll even give you the saving stamp and the book, but you have to start buying saving stamps, OK?”. We willingly agreed. So he made out two books, one in each of our names and glued a one and six stamp into each, we were in! We spent the rest of the day ‘til they kicked us out going through the Lanc and talking to the ‘crew’. When we left we read the fine print in our savings books and discovered that we could cash them in at any time, suddenly we were rich, we’d never had one and six in cash ever before, there was no such thing as pocket money in those days, so we went to the post office and closed our accounts! One and six was more money than I’d ever seen but I don’t remember what I did with it, probably gave it to my Granny.

Edited by goneforeign
changes

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I live at the Prince of Wales Pub on St Philips Road attend the Church and was in the Cubs l remember the Scrap yard with a lot of Army vehicles which we played in

l also remember the Pea n Pea shop and the Funeral Directors opposite the old cemetery 

There was three lads lives there and l think two brothers were twins

l also went to Crookmoor Boys where there was a boy boxer Victor Hargreaves l think his name was

Does anyone remember these time

7 hours ago, Hurdles said:

I live at the Prince of Wales Pub on St Philips Road attend the Church and was in the Cubs l remember the Scrap yard with a lot of Army vehicles which we played in

l also remember the Pea n Pea shop and the Funeral Directors opposite the old cemetery 

There was three lads lives there and l think two brothers were twins

l also went to Crookmoor Boys where there was a boy boxer Victor Hargreaves l think his name was

Does anyone remember these time

The tyre stock we use to call it where all the ex army jeeps and large search lights were stored,. What a great adventure playground  that was not to mention all the broken glass but we loved it.

I wonder if you are thinking of Tomlinsons the funeral directors  in Bedford Street that was a couple of streets away from St Philips church and the grave yard.

• 2 months later...
On 19/08/2010 at 19:50, bluevan said:

I went to crookesmoor, Mr Cole was the headmaster thenMr mulherney or something, he had a funny eye, Mr alright, he was brilliant!, Horrid old dinner woman mrs bramall, Does anyone remember Ryan palmer? he got killed on the dual carriage way and they planted a tree in the school gardens for him, Mr perkins aswell, or picky nose perkins, It was always a cold school with concrete steps, Both me and my sister went there

Yes I remember Ryan, I was in his class at the time he died. 

Most of the the teachers names ring a bell but to throw another one in the ring was Miss Jackson, a great teacher!  

• 4 years later...