Any memories of Crookesmoor School?

I used to live at 75 Crookesmoor Road and went to Crookesmoor School until 1951 I am Carol Allwood and my cousins Graham and Trevor Cotterill went until they left School I was only 9 in 1951 but they would have been there u ntil 1963 that would have been Trevor and our Graham would have left about 1960 We lived on the old cobble part with the bomb buildings behind us. Barbara Coe lived next door and then Brain Ronald and Billie Turner Sylvia Spooner lived just below and Pauline Hastings just above and the Family Hoylands on the other side of the road I used to play with Hazel Hoyland

• 4 months later...

Can anybody tell me the name of a likely secondary school that a female would go to when leaving Crookesmoor infants in 1932.

I would love it if anybody has any photos of the infants between 1928 and 1932.

Any help with this would be much appreciated

Betty

Can anybody tell me the name of a likely secondary school that a female would go to when leaving Crookesmoor infants in 1932.

I would love it if anybody has any photos of the infants between 1928 and 1932.

Any help with this would be much appreciated

Betty

Many Sheffield schools had continuing education, through to official leaving age, with a "Senior" section. Although this was not true of every last Sheffield school (the "brainy" kids usually being filtered out to Grammar School by the 11+ examination, the ordinary kids remaining at their current school.)

Not 100% sure if Crookesmoor school had this, although my father went to Crookesmoor (he lived on Fawcett Street) and doesn't mention transferring to a senior school...

In fact, looking, now, at my family photos on my mantelpiece, I have a 1952/3 school class photograph of my father and his pals, from Crookesmoor school, aged about 13/14:- so presumably there was a senior school section there?

it was a little strange for my mother, and my ex-mother-in-law, who both grew up in Attercliffe.

My mother went to Carbrook School, (Now the players cafe) and at 11, after failing to pass her 11+ she went to Coleridge road, but my mother in law, who lived the opposite side of Attercliffe common, on Brompton Rd, went to Maltby St school all her academic life.

Edited by Plain Talker
to add about mum in law

Many Sheffield schools had continuing education, through to official leaving age, with a "Senior" section. Although this was not true of every last Sheffield school (the "brainy" kids usually being filtered out to Grammar School by the 11+ examination, the ordinary kids remaining at their current school.)

Not 100% sure if Crookesmoor school had this, although my father went to Crookesmoor (he lived on Fawcett Street) and doesn't mention transferring to a senior school...

In fact, looking, now, at my family photos on my mantelpiece, I have a 1952/3 school class photograph of my father and his pals, from Crookesmoor school, aged about 13/14:- so presumably there was a senior school section there?

it was a little strange for my mother, and my ex-mother-in-law, who both grew up in Attercliffe.

My mother went to Carbrook School, (Now the players cafe) and at 11, after failing to pass her 11+ she went to Coleridge road, but my mother in law, who lived the opposite side of Attercliffe common, on Brompton Rd, went to Maltby St school all her academic life.

Hello.P.T. A friend of mine went all the way through Crooksmoor School and I should think she will be roughly the same age as your Father,after all these years her friends from school still meet up once a month for coffee I wondered if you could put a link on showing us the photogragh.

Thank You.

Started Crookesmoor in 1948 till 1952 then moved to Walkley; Roger Taylor was in the class above me.

The short street separating the two schools was Tay Street; unique that it had no buildings as such on it.

Remember the the extra buildings being constructed on the 'Tip' round about the same time that they knocked the air raid shelters down near the bottom end of the 'Tip'.

The caretaker was Mr Shaw (miserable old sod) we also had open coal fires in the classrooms.

I lived at the corner of Crookesmoor Rd & Bond St, in those days there was a butchers shop at the junction where Addy Street and Crookesmoor Rd separated; I remember this particularly well because I threw a pair of bike handlebars through the window (well I was only 7 years old).

Hello.P.T. A friend of mine went all the way through Crooksmoor School and I should think she will be roughly the same age as your Father,after all these years her friends from school still meet up once a month for coffee I wondered if you could put a link on showing us the photogragh.

Thank You.

I'm afraid my PC "nous" doesn't spread to being able to scan a piccy, I'm afraid.. :(

it's beyond me, sorry.

Crookesmoor School had all 3 levels (Infant, Junior & Senior) fully operational until 1960/61 year when the upper school at Myers Grove came on stream. In 61 my year became the first group not to finish their education at Crookesmoor from infant to senior. The 2 previous years, the seniors transferred to Myers Grove in their final year. We became the first group to start and finish their 4 years at Myers Grove school.

Crookesmoor School had all 3 levels (Infant, Junior & Senior) fully operational until 1960/61 year when the upper school at Myers Grove came on stream. In 61 my year became the first group not to finish their education at Crookesmoor from infant to senior. The 2 previous years, the seniors transferred to Myers Grove in their final year. We became the first group to start and finish their 4 years at Myers Grove school.

Thank you, spada for that information. My father (working on his year of birth, 1939) must have left in about 1953/4 at about the age of 14, which was before the changes that you have mentioned.