Tesco/Green Flag Breakdown Cover-Any Good?

I have been with Green Flag for about 4 years and had to call them out twice. Could not fault them on either occasion, including a tow home from Junction 29 on the M1 at 10.00pm.

Wife is with the AA (as the cover was included with her car purchase) ; she has had them out twice and had no problems once they actually arrived but they were not the quickest in getting out to her / us.

i also have tesco cover (via greenflag). spot on, no problems. broke down a couple of weeks ago actually in the middle of nowhere in yorkshire dales. a mechanic arrived within about 30 minutes

used to use aa, they were also good for me, but certainly no better

I'm with Autoaid, £39 for the year.

They use local garages to the breakdown, cover includes Home start, roadside repairs, recovery, hotel if required.

The only difference is that payment for bills is required up front, they reimburse 100% by cheque within 14 days.

Great value and service for the 4 times I've used them.

Never had a problem with AA.

With Green Flag, I had a blow out on the way to an important meeting, so I was in my nicest suit, and thought they could change the wheel for me. They turned up, took the old one off, put the spare on, without realising that as it wasn't an alloy, it didn't need the spacer on the hub, so left that on. I didn't notice as I was too busy phoning the client, drove off, only to see lots of people flashing and beeping as my wheel was nearly falling off, due to the wheel nuts not being fully through. Had to pull into a nearby garage who sorted it. Cue one letter of complaint to Green Flag.

Never had a problem with AA.

With Green Flag, I had a blow out on the way to an important meeting, so I was in my nicest suit, and thought they could change the wheel for me. They turned up, took the old one off, put the spare on, without realising that as it wasn't an alloy, it didn't need the spacer on the hub, so left that on. I didn't notice as I was too busy phoning the client, drove off, only to see lots of people flashing and beeping as my wheel was nearly falling off, due to the wheel nuts not being fully through. Had to pull into a nearby garage who sorted it. Cue one letter of complaint to Green Flag.

I had a blow out on a filthy night in Derbyshire a couple of winters ago. Green flag sent a guy out from a local garage to change the wheel in pouring rain whilst I sat in a pub enjoying a bar meal. My car was fitted with very wide alloys and the space saver spare had no nuts, despite me owning the car from new. The nice man provided a set of nuts and fitted the wheel. Then when it turned out that the damaged wheel wouldn't fit in the boot he took it back to Sheffield for me. The next day they found a company to weld up my damaged wheel. I've been with Green Flag ever since despite only spending 3/4 months a year in the UK. Oh.. and I gave the nice very wet man a large tip for his troubles.

• 7 months later...

Tesco Breakdown Cover is now provided by the RAC for new customers, so you can expect the same level of service as you would get from these folks. The RAC and AA are very similar in service levels and price. Someone previously mentioned Green Flag, although they complete the "Big 3", they calculate their prices based on your circumstances so these can vary depending on the age of your car and the number of call outs you've had.

Once you have been with a provider for a year they generally put their prices up for your renewal (it's the same with car insurance), because they know you will happily allow them to renew as this is easier for you. If you compare breakdown cover prices with one of the comparison website you can get basic cover for less than £19 per month. Check out WhyBreakdown.co.uk.

Archived