Fake University degrees: is a real one worth the money?

Mine, 2005, was watermarked - maybe that's something that's come in recently.

I guess it depends on different University designs of degree certificate...I dont have mine to hand here so cant see if there is a watermark....I dont recall seeing one, and was quite disappointed in fact it was not a more grand affair....ie, rolled up parchment with red wax seal, and huge coat of arms in hand drawn and coloured inks.....but...back to reality, this is Sheffield hallam we are talking about.....

I used to work in a University in the admissions department. We used to get lots of employers contacting us to check students did in fact study at the university.

We also used to have to check students quals before they were given offers...

I never forget we had an international student come in one day, but we had already been alerted to the fact he did have fake documents. We had to ask him to wait, I think he obviously knew he'd been scarpered, but his face just drained and went a green colour!

I also remember a lad coming in with his "degree" certificate to get on a post grad course. It was from the same university that I had gone to, so I knew what it should have looked like. It looked like he had made it himself on windows paint. It was such a terrible fake!

I can imagine there are a lot things that must slip through the net mind!

I agree. Furthermore, Higher Education is not just about the end result but the whole student experience. Besides, you're leaving yourself wide open and can easily be caught out. It's very remiss of employers not to check and given that bogus degrees are on the increase, then employer checks will become more stringent, making it harder for those to try and cheat the system and act fraudulently.

Purchasing a fake degree does not substitute for being a dork with no knowledge of your subject. They might con an idiot in personel but that won't wash when they show they are as thick a a brick when it comes to doing the job.

Using fake credentials is a criminal act and I am pretty sure when it comes to light a visit to one of Her Majesty's establishments of anal pleasure is on the cards.

I should add that I don't have any way to prove I earned my undergraduate degree, since I accidentally put it in the blue bin with the rest of the paper recycling. :hihi:

They charge £20 for a replacement :o Sod that.

Blimey there could be someone from Sheffield Recycling posing as Jessica Rabbit BA (Hons) and doing a copywriting job or teaching English.:hihi::hihi:

Mine, 2005, was watermarked - maybe that's something that's come in recently.

They should all be watermarked as well as have the University seal. In my last place of work, we designed them so that if photocopied and/or scanned, the background would read 'copy'. I've seen some really crappy attempts at forged certificates in my time.

I guess it depends on different University designs of degree certificate...I dont have mine to hand here so cant see if there is a watermark....I dont recall seeing one, and was quite disappointed in fact it was not a more grand affair....ie, rolled up parchment with red wax seal, and huge coat of arms in hand drawn and coloured inks.....but...back to reality, this is Sheffield hallam we are talking about.....

That is how certificates once were until mass higher education. At one time, they were beautifully hand scripted in calligraphy.

Blimey there could be someone from Sheffield Recycling posing as Jessica Rabbit BA (Hons) and doing a copywriting job or teaching English.:hihi::hihi:

Or, more realistically, asking if people would like fries with that ;)

Said certificate was actually buried deep in the middle of a pile of newspapers. I imagine it's been safely pulped by now. :suspect:

My Women's Studies postgrad certificate has a huge Mille Tant watermark.:hihi::hihi:

Archived