Fake University degrees: is a real one worth the money?

I think on the other end of the spectrum, if the guy referred to in the OP is good at his job and his employers are happy, why do his employers feel the need to only recruit a graduate when it is obviously a job a non-graduate can do well. This is why people feel the need to commit fraud to get a job.
Exactly, the only thing he's done is to circumvent the selection procedure which would have knocked him back for not having the degree. Problem with a lot of graduates in a lot of jobs is that they mistakenly think that non graduates are incapable and in this instance it would appear that the employee is quite capable of doing the job properly. Good luck to him, I say.

Exactly, the only thing he's done is to circumvent the selection procedure which would have knocked him back for not having the degree. Problem with a lot of graduates in a lot of jobs is that they mistakenly think that non graduates are incapable and in this instance it would appear that the employee is quite capable of doing the job properly. Good luck to him, I say.

But as you say, it's a selection process and whether it's a book shop or not, most management trainee schemes, rightly or wrongly, recruit graduates.

The recent case of the Iranian government official sacked after the discovery that his claim of holding an MA (Oxon) was fraudulent just goes to show how things can catch up with you. I personally don't think it worth the risk.

My Women's Studies postgrad certificate has a huge Mille Tant watermark.:hihi::hihi:

Think I'd read that the same with or without the smileys. :suspect::D

Thinking back, I don't think either of my certificates have a watermark on them. I'm going to have to dig them out tonight now!

Think I'd read that the same with or without the smileys. :suspect::D

Thinking back, I don't think either of my certificates have a watermark on them. I'm going to have to dig them out tonight now!

I'd be surprised if they weren't watermarked. They should also have the University/awarding body seal.

But as you say, it's a selection process and whether it's a book shop or not, not most management trainee schemes, rightly or wrongly, recruit graduates.

The recent case of the Iranian government official sacked after the discovery that his claim of holding an MA (Oxon) was fraudulent just goes to show how things can catch up with you. I personally don't think it worth the risk.

I think that the point of view that it's somehow enterprising and resourceful to 'circumvent the selection procedure' isn't one that the vast majority of employers are likely to hold, especially if the guilty party gets found out early on in their career.

I wouldn't risk it either.

But as you say, it's a selection process and whether it's a book shop or not, most management trainee schemes, rightly or wrongly, recruit graduates.

Yes that's what they say they want in order to weed out people in the selection process but the education the graduate has received may be completely irrelevant to the job it just opens the door for them and the non graduate could also say that isn't fair as he/she may have more relevant experience.

I think that the point of view that it's somehow enterprising and resourceful to 'circumvent the selection procedure' isn't one that the vast majority of employers are likely to hold, especially if the guilty party gets found out early on in their career.

I wouldn't risk it either.

Depends on the job but if the person doesn't have a degree they have nothing to lose.

Yes that's what they say they want in order to weed out people in the selection process but the education the graduate has received may be completely irrelevant to the job it just opens the door for them and the non graduate could also say that isn't fair as he/she may have more relevant experience.

I agree the degree subject may be totally irrelevant, however, it's not just about the subject matter though. Going away to university (rather than living and home and going to the local one which is becoming more the norm) is about so much more than the qualification and most degree programmes facilitate independent learning and assess skills which will be of use in the workplace.

Archived