Lots of pets dumped/sold and abandoned because of the credit crunch

pinklady

Gah. It makes me so cross.

My parents rented out their beautiful house and the family that moved had kids which poured bleach all over the floor - ruining the Axminster carpets in several rooms - more damage than any dog would do.

If the pet issue is really a serious problem (and people are being forced to abandon their pets) then something needs to be done about it and legislation needs putting in place to protect the poor defenseless animals.

even though i love animals, i can understand why landlords dont allow them, if i had a property that cost me £100K + .... and a few more hundred to fit out, i wouldnt want it ruined, unfortunatly Ive been into a lot of smelly houses from .... shall we say unhygenic pet owners who allow the animals to wee and poo all over the place, not to mention chewed furniture/walls/carpets. We all seem to assume everyones like us, sadly theres a lot of scummy dirty people around that give every dog owning tenant a bad name

I would like to establish better support systems to help pet owners in dire circumstances keep their pets when it isn't an issue of cruelty. Or, if you will, to keep pets in their homes.

Helping a pet owner out with a big bag of pet food, a vet bill, or training has got to be less costly than trying to rehome an animal.

I don't like the idea of essentially punishing people for surrendering an animal to rescue. It sends the wrong message, I think, and would only lead to animals being dumped along roadsides... or worse. If you know you can't do right by your pet, approaching a rescue is the *responsible* thing. And any rescue worth its salt will direct owners to resources that may help in situations where they believe surrender can be avoided.

I suggested that contracts should be separately negotiable - eg my dog is crated when left unattended so couldn't possibly carry out any of the damage she outlined (completely destroyed doors, messed carpets etc), but her argument was that if somebody is allowed a chihuahua, then they couldn't refuse a rottweiler (or words to that effect)

I call B.S. on that one. They could insert a weight/size restriction into a rental agreement, easily.

We had the very same shortage of pet-friendly housing in America. However, recently, more an more landlords are seeing the huge demand for pet-friendly housing, and the huge income potential in letting to pet owners for a premium rent or a very large deposit. Is there some legislation over here that prevents landlords from requiring a large deposit to keep pets? Certainly there would be loads of people willing to pay, if it meant they could keep their beloved animals.

even though i love animals, i can understand why landlords dont allow them, if i had a property that cost me £100K + .... and a few more hundred to fit out, i wouldnt want it ruined, unfortunatly Ive been into a lot of smelly houses from .... shall we say unhygenic pet owners who allow the animals to wee and poo all over the place, not to mention chewed furniture/walls/carpets. We all seem to assume everyones like us, sadly theres a lot of scummy dirty people around that give every dog owning tenant a bad name
yeeeerrrrsss, and have you seen what the same people can do to a property if they have kids, or if they just live there themselves?

Banning sensible people from keeping pets is signing a death warrant on those pets in many circumstances

Like I say, there are many agencies who override a landlord's choice to have pets

Even the Salvation Army have recognised that prejudices against dogs is a factor in keeping people on the streets and out of homes, so they've altered their policy (well according to a friend of a neighbour who works for them anyway)

I call B.S. on that one. They could insert a weight/size restriction into a rental agreement, easily.

We had the very same shortage of pet-friendly housing in America. However, recently, more an more landlords are seeing the huge demand for pet-friendly housing, and the huge income potential in letting to pet owners for a premium rent or a very large deposit. Is there some legislation over here that prevents landlords from requiring a large deposit to keep pets? Certainly there would be loads of people willing to pay, if it meant they could keep their beloved animals.

This has long been my argument

when we get people on here looking for accommodation with their pet, we suggest approaching private lets from ads in local shop windows or the paper, and offer them a higher rent/deposit, plus whatever assurance they have at their disposal - eg 'my dog is crated when I'm out'

I would like to establish better support systems to help pet owners in dire circumstances keep their pets when it isn't an issue of cruelty. Or, if you will, to keep pets in their homes.

Helping a pet owner out with a big bag of pet food, a vet bill, or training has got to be less costly than trying to rehome an animal.

Sometimes it's not the financial that's the hard part

I've had a foster dog in and out on and off over a period of months when his owner was suffering from depression and couldn't keep him herself. I just provided an instant drop off point whenever he couldn't be cared for at home, and much of the time I was able to 'use' him to ensure his owner was still in one piece, when she wouldn't have opened the door to anybody else

He's now enjoying a more settled home environment - still with his owner :)

The Dogs Trust are running a long term foster scheme - for looking after dogs of women who've gone into prison. Not an attractive campaign to run, but if you step back and look at it sensibly (most women in prison are actually depressives for whom crime is a symptom), returning a dog to their home and giving that woman part of her life back pays dividends all round

Do you know, there's more going out than coming in at this house, O/H ended up with just £3 out of his latest wage.

I'm on just one meal a day and haven't got a clue how we are going to get xmas pressies for kids...it's bad:(

I WOULD NEVER consider getting rid of the dog though! She's part of the family, she has a big sack of food to last her through to next payday, the kids and dog Alway's come first!!!

Have you ever been in the situ where even the dog kimble start's to look tempting:hihi:

I was talking to a letting agent at a party recently, and she was adamant that they weren't doing anything wrong

I suggested that contracts should be separately negotiable - eg my dog is crated when left unattended so couldn't possibly carry out any of the damage she outlined (completely destroyed doors, messed carpets etc), but her argument was that if somebody is allowed a chihuahua, then they couldn't refuse a rottweiler (or words to that effect)

Children generally cause more damage to property, but could you imagine stating 'no kids' as a blanket agency policy in this day and age?

I totally agree, letting agents should always discuss the landlord's wishes with regards to pets and not just have this blanket ban. The argument above doesn't really hold water for me as you can state that pets are at the discretion of the landlord; and a small well trained dog or cat is totally different to a heard of unruly larger dogs!

Archived