What is the best pub in Sheffield?

whitescar

Yes, the Pomona. That's one of those places where you wipe your feet on the way out.

My favourite pubs are usually the traditional ones: Fagan's, Kelham Tavern, New Barrack Tavern and although I know I shouldn't say so but recently I've taken a shine to Ha! Ha! because it feels so relaxing in there and the Peroni on tap is simply lovely.

Locally, for ace Timothy Taylor Landlord and home cooked food, you can't beat the Sportsman at Hallam.

Maybe the title should have been whats the best pub for ale in sheffield, as anything other than this seems to be out of the question...

Not really - some of my favourite pubs aren't necessarily those with the widest choice of real ales though I think the ones I lised all have at least two, with one I can drink being my minimum expectations if they want my money.

For me it's about balance - good friendly people and atmosphere, maybe entertainment, quality of beer etc.

Everyone is going to have their own criteria and I'm afraid the common room and other bars in a similar vein (and I've been dragged in most of them with various colleagues) don't rate highly on any of my criteria for me.

And your stereotype of what a proper pub is serve no purpose other then to show you don't go in them very often (or are simply wrong).

Ok call em traditional if it suits you - your sterotype still falls down - rarely do I see a flat cap in any traditional pubs and if so it's on the odd person. Your original stereotype was much stronger anyway (filthy, 11pm closing) and is still invalid.

You obviously know what constitutes a 'proper' pub so I won't question you. I'm suprised that in a traditional yorkshire pub you don't see flat caps more often. Don't really see how my stereotypes were invalid either, a traditional yorkshire pub is all of the above and you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Archived