What is the best pub in Sheffield?

whitescar

You obviously know what constitutes a 'proper' pub so I won't question you. I'm suprised that in a traditional yorkshire pub you don't see flat caps more often. Don't really see how my stereotypes were invalid either, a traditional yorkshire pub is all of the above and you'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Filthy? 11pm closing (these days)? You are the fool.

Maybe the title should have been whats the best pub for ale in sheffield, as anything other than this seems to be out of the question...

I think if you read the OPs first post, it was clear what his criteria were and none of your suggestions fit them.

Plenty of pubs still close at 11pm and I used the word filthy to refer to ale, which I happen to hate. I don't see how the common room lacks either a good atmosphere or good beer. Maybe your judgement is clouded by your distorted view of a proper pub, but my suggestion clearly fits the criteria of the OPs first post. Either way, it's all a matter of opinion, but in this case your opinion is clearly wrong.

Plenty of pubs still close at 11pm and I used the word filthy to refer to ale, which I happen to hate. I don't see how the common room lacks either a good atmosphere or good beer. Maybe your judgement is clouded by your distorted view of a proper pub, but my suggestion clearly fits the criteria of the OPs first post. Either way, it's all a matter of opinion, but in this case your opinion is clearly wrong.

By definition an opinion can't be wrong, it can be disagreed with, disliked and debated, but not wrong.

"Where would be a good place to take a 'pub connoisseur'? Somewhere with real character, good beer, and good food if possible."

... anyone else thinks the Common Room fits this criteria? Real character? :hihi:

You think a 'pub connoisseur' wants to go to the Common Room?:loopy:

Sorry Steve looks like I inadvertently stirred thing s up a little with my comment this morning.....!

Beer snobs are a bore right? But honestly, truly ( and I say this whilst guzzling a can of Beck's ) you don't hate ale - you just haven't found one which you love yet - there's such a staggering variety to choose from, there's going to be one out there that you just fall in love with......

Why wouldn't they want to go to the common room?? Sells a variety of beer, has a nice atmosphere and is entertaining. Don't see how any of the other pubs are an improvement on the common room, with the exception of the devonshire car, as that has a ridiculous selection of beer.

Don't think you quite got the humerous nature of my last sentence, but cheers for the lesson on opinions.

The closest thing I have found to ale which I like is either discovery, which is fairly enjoyable, or Boston lager, which tastes like an ale at first but has a refreshing lager after taste. I wouldn't mind acquiring a taste for ale, as there are so many different varieties to choose from and it would be a nice way to expand my drinking repertoire. If you could recommend any that would be great, as i'd rather avoid being put off by even more shoddy ales.

Plenty of pubs still close at 11pm

Increasingly more so to after the 'novelty' of having extended opening hours....I think in Broomhill we open later than anyone else at the weekend, most are 2300 or 2330, we run until Midnight.......the Dove is Midnight at the weekend to unlike most other 'traditional' pubs in the City centre......

Any excuse to plug the York ay Goldenfleece! Went to the Dove the other week and it's far from traditional but is a nice pub in a quirky way. I'm surprised at how plain the York is in comparison, you've done well to resist the temptation to paint murals over the walls, although I think i'd prefer it to the lilac paint!

Archived