What is the best pub in Sheffield?

whitescar

The Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Sheaf View, Harlequin and Hillborough Hotel get my vote. Barrack Tavern not as good as it used to be. The important point is they all sell real ale. I like the darker ones the best so the Fat Cat has to be supreme.

The Fat Cat, Kelham Island Tavern, Sheaf View, Harlequin and Hillborough Hotel get my vote. Barrack Tavern not as good as it used to be. The important point is they all sell real ale. I like the darker ones the best so the Fat Cat has to be supreme.

I agree the Barrack Tavern isn't as good as it used to be. I also like the Wellington (ex Cask and Cutler) but it's no good to the OP as it doesn't serve food. The beers are great and the pub is brewing it's own now, not sure about the atmosphere though, the regulars who crowd the bar tend to pong a bit as well :D

disagree, think the dove and rainbow is terrible. usually a very poor selection compared to the wetherspoons next door (last time there was only 1 guest on), horrible atmosphere and a grotty pub. beer was very poor last time i visited.

i dont think its terrible, but it is cold compared to the wetherspoons next door and more expensive. went into wetherspoons the other Sunday with some friends got a round in and it came to about 5 and a half quid, sat in front of a open fire on comfy seats, a little later we saw that the tut was open so popped in there for a few, ended up staying for one, round came to just under 8 quid, had to sit on cold hard picnic tables (inside!?) and every time the door opened was met with a cold gale. Went back to the wetherspoons were it was warm, think the dove is definitely a pub for the summer months.

I wouldn't mind acquiring a taste for ale, as there are so many different varieties to choose from and it would be a nice way to expand my drinking repertoire. If you could recommend any that would be great, as i'd rather avoid being put off by even more shoddy ales.

Hi. I'm a lager drinker, man and boy but I generally have a pint or two of Timothy Taylor's Landlord when it's available. Cumberland Ale (Jennings, I think) is another good one, in my opinion. Why not try those two for a start?

The closest thing I have found to ale which I like is either discovery, which is fairly enjoyable, or Boston lager, which tastes like an ale at first but has a refreshing lager after taste. I wouldn't mind acquiring a taste for ale, as there are so many different varieties to choose from and it would be a nice way to expand my drinking repertoire. If you could recommend any that would be great, as i'd rather avoid being put off by even more shoddy ales.

Depends which sort of ales you like,alot of people start with the lighter ones and try the darker ones later but I certainly prefer the darker ones. Fat Cat once did one called London Bridge and it was excellent but you don't tend to see the same ones twice. I also love fruit beers but that's another story.:D

I prefer bitter to lager, but can drink anything providing it's served ice cold. Over the last few years I've started to drink real ales more and more, and love to try different ones when I'm out and about. There is one beer though that I think is absolutely mint, and reminds me a little bit of Stones when it was brewed in Sheffield in the 70s. This is Farmers Blond, and suits my pallet perfectly. All the pubs down Kelham Island way usually have it, as do all the ones out Bradfield way which isn't surprising cos it's brewed there!

Best pub in Sheffield? Shame I have to tell everybody in case it gets too popular but it's the Harlequin for me, it's got everything - I'll be with 40 odd people from the Walking Group at a Christmas party in there next weekend, that's how much we rate it in the Walking Group!

I had a couple of pints in Fagan's yesterday afternoon and a brilliant chip butty - huge chips, cut by hand in half a baguette with plenty of butter and salt. Delicious, only cost me £2. The beer was Pale Rider and very good too.

Depends which sort of ales you like,alot of people start with the lighter ones and try the darker ones later but I certainly prefer the darker ones. Fat Cat once did one called London Bridge and it was excellent but you don't tend to see the same ones twice. I also love fruit beers but that's another story.:D

Fat Cat had one called Triplechocoholic on on Friday which was awesome.I expect it has already run out:mad:

Archived