What is the best pub in Sheffield?

whitescar

I like the white lion . the sheaf is good but its gets a bit to busy on fridays and its hard to get a seat and served. it is a great sunday sesh pub but i go to the lion if its a friday .

andy

I tend to stick to the Sheaf veiw, I agree it can get a little busy on the weekends :)

I normally drink bitter but sometimes like a G+T and the White Lion hasn't had any ice cubes for over a year now. It's horrid with no ice so we don't go there any more, shame because I used to like it, friendly bar staff too.

I generally avoid the other pubs around there- the Crown is a bit 'old' but friendly and I avoided the red lion before it shut down as it had gone down the pan. I've been in a couple of times since it's new look and it's fine- but I prefer elsewhere, can't put my finger on why I'm not keen :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
rarely do I see a flat cap in any traditional pubs and if so it's on the odd person.

Who are you calling odd? I usually have a flat cap on when I arrive at the pub in this weather, although unlike Andy Capp I do take it off once I am inside.

While I do like the traditional pub (by which I mean one which hasn't been buggered about with a new refurb every other year) my main criterion is whether or not they have proper beer on sale.

I'll happily go into a brand new pub if they have two or three cask conditioned beers on offer, but I steer well clear of (and walk out of, if I go in to suss one out) those which only sell smoothflow and tasteless lagers.

I had a really good pint (well, two and a half to be exact) in the Graduate on Surrey Street before I went to the Lyceum the other week. OK, my wife and I increased the average age of the clientele by around 25 years, but I thought the ambience of the place was good and I had an excellent belly-busting burger (which I think is how it was described on the menu).

Any excuse to plug the York ay Goldenfleece! Went to the Dove the other week and it's far from traditional but is a nice pub in a quirky way. I'm surprised at how plain the York is in comparison, you've done well to resist the temptation to paint murals over the walls, although I think i'd prefer it to the lilac paint!

That's nothing! He started the plugging back in 2003! Look here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3847 Post 5.

How's that for a forward looking business plan?

The Robin Hood at Little Matlock near Loxley is tops, well it's still good but the new Landlord lacks the same personality and rapport with the punters that Keeley had, the previous Landlady.

• 2 weeks later...
People are talking about proper pubs here.....

Agreed! That's more of a Bar type place a Proper Pub should be about Good Food and Good Drink! Not about Fancy Pool Tables,Games,Jukeboxes, Quiz Machines Etc! Those things are fine, but not really neccesary and not what you go into a pub for

Archived