Wong Ting - Beware!

sweetcorn

yes same owner, and we are regular customers thats why were so angry! Exactley what i said, whats the exchange rate got to do with it? if he just said sorry i made a mistake heres the correct bill, then fair enough but he tried four times to get us to pay more than the menu price, first saying the menu had changed, then saying price had gone up, then saying it was the exchange rate!

Just to let you know weve spoken to loads of people now with exactly the same story some from over a year ago so this has been going on a long time, we will never go back and neither will anyone we know, the chinese community is small so this guy is an idiot!

yes same owner, and we are regular customers thats why were so angry! Exactley what i said, whats the exchange rate got to do with it? if he just said sorry i made a mistake heres the correct bill, then fair enough but he tried four times to get us to pay more than the menu price, first saying the menu had changed, then saying price had gone up, then saying it was the exchange rate!

Just to let you know weve spoken to loads of people now with exactly the same story some from over a year ago so this has been going on a long time, we will never go back and neither will anyone we know, the chinese community is small so this guy is an idiot!

You should contact the local Trading Standards I'm pretty sure that kind of behaviour is illegal.

How awful what a pity - I had a couple of meals in there ages ago and it seemed good then - that story has put me right off the place now - I had a birthday meal in CandyTown the other night and in my opinion that one is still the best Chinese in Sheffield :-)

We really like the food in there and the service is always very good, but I have always found it a bit potentially dodgy that the bill is always in Chinese so there's no way of making sure you've been charged right for everything (not that this is uncommon in Chinese restaurants, so I didn't worry too much). We have noticed something that I suspect is a way of getting more money out of people though, although this could just be me being cynical! A woman who I think is a manager will go up to a table and chat with the customers as they're looking at the menu, and tell them about various "real Chinese" dishes that aren't on the English menu with the implication that the stuff on the English menu isn't nearly as good and that these particular customers are obviously far too experienced at eating Chinese food to bother with the menu for westerners. She did this with us a while ago and at the time it was quite nice, because my boyfriend did in fact grow up in an area which is predominantly Chinese and because he often ate out with Chinese friends, he's quite used to the fact that a lot of restaurants do have different menus for Chinese people and for westerners. We went with the dishes she was recommending, some of them were pretty good but others weren't particularly great, fair enough, but they mostly seemed like things that would generally be fairly cheap, yet the bill was considerably higher than we'd normally pay for a meal there. I didn't think too much of this at the time, I just thought that it was a good experiment but I'd probably prefer to just order from the menu next time so I could choose exactly what I felt like eating, but on the last couple of times we went to Wong Ting, we saw the same lady doing the exact same thing to other customers so I have to say, I feel a bit cynical about it if it is the case that the customers end up getting cheaper food at higher prices thanks to a bit of flattery from the staff!

I reccommend going to London Road where you will be spoilt for choice. All of the Chinese restaurants on there are great value and more authentic, plus they are in competition with each other so they won't rip you off. Noodle in is one of my favorites.

One I've not tried yet is the new buffet style one, don't know the name, but it got a great write up in the Star. It's not the trough stuff you get in others, you choose from a menu as many things as you want for about a tenner and thay cook it fresh and bring it to the table. I looked at the menu and thay have 50% introductory offer on seafood. Has anyone been here yet?

Zing Va And Wong Ting are expensive and have had their day.

I don't think Wong Ting or Zing Vaa are particularly more expensive than any other Chinese restaurants I've been in (and I've been in most of the ones in town and along London Road!), and I've certainly never had a problem with the quality of the food in either of them. I just feel a little bit dubious about the Wong Ting after our recent experience and what the OP on this thread has said.

It's not like there are a lack of good Chinese restaurants in Sheffield though! Come on everyone, which ones do you like best? Personally one of my favourites is Hei Moon next to Hillsborough Park - a bit out of the way unless you live over here, but it's excellent for food and service. I don't know which of the London Road ones I like best, can't remember any of the names!

Archived