Paying administration fees for tenacy agreement - what to do?

rooroo211

Evert 6 months the company that deals with the letting of the flat we live in ask for £90 admin fee for basically photocopying the tenacy agreement but changing dates on it.

We refused to pay the first one as the agent had messed us around so much, in a few months time they will ask for it again, should we say no or say the landlord can pay

Any advice?

Hiya

You are in a difficult position as you will possibly have an assured shorthold tenancy, basically if you dont agree with the admin fee's and if the landlord wont pay them there is a risk that they may decide not to renew your tenancy and possibly even ask you to leave.

As far as Im aware there are no limits on charges of letting agents but I agree its potentially unfair. You could possibly check if they are registered with ARLA (association of residential letting agents) and if so check if they have any codes of practice or best practice on fair or unfair charges) BUT be careful !

Lou

Oh my, what a sneeky backhanded trick! Firstly, the agency should ask you if you even want to sign a new 6 month agreement, if you don't then you should go onto periodic. This means that the original terms of the tenancy will still apply, but you will just need to give one month's notice if you decide to leave. Secondly, any charges for further contracts should be payable by the landlord.

As stated above, it's dodgy ground as there are no real regulations for letting agents; which may mean they won't renew your contract.

Have you told them you wish to go onto periodic?

I was just going to put up a thread about this.

can anybody that's letting please post admin charges for their agency?

I'm looking to rent another house and can't find a private landlord in the area I want - so it looks like an agency, but I refuse to go with one that chrages £100 for a credit check etc

Please can anyone advise which don't charge as much!

Stone the crows! Another load of tripe from another agent. Tell them to go stuff themselves (politely!). They Landlord would rather keep you on as they'll otherwise have to pay another finders fee to the agent (often much more than £100) to find another tenant.

As for application fees poppet, a lot of agents on rightmove are offering half prices fees or even no fees with competition now hotting up in the rental market. Barter the retards down. Unfortunately I was in an awkward position and got shafted for the princely sum of £221.50 on fees. ABSOLUTE KILLER. Never again.

BUT ,... in addition to the above be careful .. if you kick up a fuss the letting agent or landlord could look at starting eviction proceedings!!! Also, if you sign a new fixed term it gives you some security ... only you can weigh up he pros and cons.

You could contact the landlord and he may want you to go direct with him if happy etc or as people have said he may meet half way or pay any fees. If you dont have the landlords name and address you are entitled to this.

Good luck!

That sounds about right, Lewis Wadsworth are awful for fees; both up front and extra charges.

I would also suggest that the OP contact their landlord, it may be that (s)he doesn't realise this is going on. If you've been a good tenant i'm sure (s)he won't want to risk loosing you due to the agency's behaviour.

Archived