Views on Damon's please!

Emilychee

I must get myself down there for a plate of coleslaw and some nice warm bread. And on my way home nip to Sainsburys for some food to eat!

LOL. Sarky, sarky.

Well, for what it's worth. I still think highly of their coleslaws and warmed malt bread. It's not the mayonaised kind, and it's better than the ones you get in M&S because it's v. light. I think they make it rather than bought from a supplier. (If I'm wrong, then I'm damned impressed with their supplier !)

I rate such things much higher than things like the oil-clogged 'oriental' starter I once tried in The Blue Room. (For the cost of a mains at Damons.) Have to try it to believe it.

Whether it's healthy or not, if places like The Blue Room do deep-fried starters, than it's no different to try a decently priced place like Damons. (Which is one of the better chains, I reckon.) :);)

• 2 months later...

My mum had her leaving do from work there last night and I'd never been before. Little bit stuck in a timewarp I thought. The table for 11 was booked for 8.15 but we didn't sit down till 8.45 at least, and the food was at least another half-hour coming. The meal was ok and it was hot, but when I was looking at the menu online beforehand (apart from picking apart their bad grammar/spelling, etc ;)) I didn't see anything that really appealed to me. I thought the regular portion sizes were a bit stingy, so to get value for money you'd have to go with a large and pay more over the odds. The starters and sidelines are a bit pricey as well. The coleslaw was nice, as I'd already been told, and we did get two free cakes though as we knew one of the waitresses ;) They just seem to want as many people in and out as quickly as possible, although by eating later we pretty much had the place to ourselves by 10.45. The whole "Happy Birthday" thing is a touch much after the millionth rendition.

Overall not massively impressed and won't be rushing back there again.

• 2 years later...

The Indian accross the road is crap! all food made from same 4 sauces.

Nice venue completely let down by crap for food. Woodhouse Indian is a league ahead.

Damons you get what goes. no consistancy but who cares when the ribs are that good! and birthday persons meal's are free on providing birth cert or other ID. Does red lion offer that? Does anywhere offer that?

The Indian accross the road is crap! all food made from same 4 sauces.

Nice venue completely let down by crap for food. Woodhouse Indian is a league ahead.

Damons you get what goes. no consistancy but who cares when the ribs are that good! and birthday persons meal's are free on providing birth cert or other ID. Does red lion offer that? Does anywhere offer that?

I'll agree with that comment about the Amraj. Greasy microwaved rubbish and they even had the cheek to put service charge on the bill for the buffet!! We tried to move the table and it was stuck to the floor, when we eventually did it was anchored down with brown sticky gunge, yuk!

Damons is basically McDonalds for grown ups! The fried food smell of the place from outside is enough to put you off!

Archived