Temperatures in the Workplace

I am sat at work freezing!!!

I work in an office for a big company, but since the cold weather started everyone is freezing to the extent their hands are so cold its hard to even type!!!

When asked if there is anything that can be done we are told the air conditioning is on a 'sensor' so will blow hot/cold air out when necessary and 'we cant please everyone'.......

Is there anything that the staff can do about this?

Under a certain temperature, are staff entitled to go home?

There are people sat in coats with scarfs on. Surely thats not right......

I am sat at work freezing!!!

I work in an office for a big company, but since the cold weather started everyone is freezing to the extent their hands are so cold its hard to even type!!!

When asked if there is anything that can be done we are told the air conditioning is on a 'sensor' so will blow hot/cold air out when necessary and 'we cant please everyone'.......

Is there anything that the staff can do about this?

Under a certain temperature, are staff entitled to go home?

There are people sat in coats with scarfs on. Surely thats not right......

employers dont care about staff, as far as they are concerned we can freeze

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

Quote:

‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

You'll need to prove the tempature before you walk out though. ;)

At least there is a minimum temp. For some reason there is no maximum tempature for an office. I spent a summer in an office which regularly topped 40 degrees Celsius. That was hell!

Maybe so, but i bet my wages would be docked.. ahh well *puts gloves back on*

Thats true, I can imagine the bother I'd get into if I just walked out.......

So, yep, gloves and scalfs (and thermals) on tomorrow!!!

:shakes:

Contrary to popular belief, there is no 'legal minimum' or 'legal maximum' temperature which must be maintained in the average workplace. However, all employers have a statutory duty of care to ensure that its employees are able to work in an environment which has acceptable levels of temperature and humidity. In other words, one which offers an acceptable degree of thermal comfort.

Thermal comfort is defined as:

‘that condition of mind which expresses satisfaction with the thermal environment.’

So, the term ‘thermal comfort’ basically refers to a person’s perception of whether it is 'too hot' or 'too cold'. It does not necessarily indicate unsafe conditions and, in most cases, it is not a health and safety issue.

Individual perceptions of what constitutes 'comfortable' can and do vary widely; one person's 'just right' is another person's 'too cold'. Consequently, it is usually impossible to maintain a level of thermal comfort which is wholly acceptable for everyone and the law has stopped short of setting down statutory working temperatures. Instead, there is a British and European Standard, which acts as guidance for employers, but which is not binding in law. The measurement criteria in the Standards are complex and difficult to apply routinely, however.

As well as personal preference, thermal comfort is affected by more than just air temperature. Factors such as relative humidity levels, air movement, radiant heat (from surfaces or from the Sun) and the physical nature of the work may all play a part in determining how comfortable the thermal environment is to work in.

Taking all these factors into account, and with reference to published guidance, my employer has established a set of standard criteria for thermal comfort which it endeavours to maintain in most indoor workplaces. Other people may find them useful. PM me if you want to see them.

The HSE site on Thermal Comfort is http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/index.htm

Archived