Temperatures in the Workplace

There is a legal minimum, the relevant bit of legislation was quoted earlier.

There is no defined maximum, although it still has to be reasonable.

If you don't feel prepared to walk out, complain to your union or make an official complaint to your manager. If nothing happens take it to his manager.

I know the feeling, im sat at work in my coat and actually attempted typing in my gloves yesterday.

Its a bit daft though because its boiling all morning then as soon as the air con kicks in its beyond cold!

http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm

Quote:

‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

this wording is open to interpretation, as soon as you work in a place where a door opens regularly, the 'depending on other factors ' statement kicks in!!!!!!!

I am sat at work freezing!!!

I work in an office for a big company, but since the cold weather started everyone is freezing to the extent their hands are so cold its hard to even type!!!

When asked if there is anything that can be done we are told the air conditioning is on a 'sensor' so will blow hot/cold air out when necessary and 'we cant please everyone'.......

Is there anything that the staff can do about this?

Under a certain temperature, are staff entitled to go home?

There are people sat in coats with scarfs on. Surely thats not right......

think you might work at the same place as me!:hihi:

i think i know where you work because we have the same problem and ive also been told im not allowed to keep a jumper on the back of my chair because of health and safety reasons. :rolleyes: how the heck am i supposed to keep warm?

my building they keep promise to bring a plumber in to turn on the radiators (which were turned off when they installed the a/c) that are along the windows that arent double glazed so we can get some heat. this was about a month ago and still no plumber. :x

Archived