Portable heaters - halogen or oil-filled radiator?

Right, so it's a bit chilly at the minute but as I live on my own at the moment it seems daft to put the central heating on and heat the whole house.

I've decided to get one of those portable heaters instead, but I'd like to know which is most effective and efficient - a halogen heater or an oil-filled radiator? Any advice would be appreciated.

halogen heaters are great put one in my caravan i would really recommend them.watch out where you get one from though they vary in price a great deal.i bought mine in skeggy for £8 plus i bought replacment bulbs for it to have as spares only cost £1 for 3.

also very cheap to run.

• 2 years later...

Halogen- they're bright and cheerful, same as the old type electric radiators, but position away from other furniture and objects. No thermostat. Ok for lounge. Beware young (visiting)children.

Oil-filled- slow to warm the room (unless its got a fan attachment), can position anywhere, has thermostat, will run continuously, any room. Get at least a 2kw. Bought mine from Lidl, £29.

Addition- when sat in front of a halogen in a cold room they are effective as the radiated heat is strong and you can quickly get warm, until you move away!

Archived