Where do you keep all your passwords?

I've too many to keep in my head.

Storing in browser is ok until your PC gets borked. ;)

I use Password Plus. I program I bought from somewhere ages ago for not a lot that runs on the PC and syncs with my PDA. So I have my passwords with me all the time in my PDA.

You set a single password that you need to decrypt the program's database.

I've too many to keep in my head.

Storing in browser is ok until your PC gets borked. ;)

I use Password Plus. I program I bought from somewhere ages ago for not a lot that runs on the PC and syncs with my PDA. So I have my passwords with me all the time in my PDA.

You set a single password that you need to decrypt the program's database.

If you use a mac, keychain access does the same thing but it synchronises with the .mac server so you can access them (if you know the master password) from any computer with internet access.

Very useful when you have two machines too as it syncs passwords centrally so both have access to the same list.

I suppose there might be something similar for the pc?

• 1 year later...

This may well be a stupid idea but I keep all mine in a Word document which then has a password on it to view or edit the file. I know what the "master" password is (and it's different from all the passwords in the file itself).

I also have the passwords partially starred out just in case someone did get into the file, but there's enough there to jog my memory e.g. "She***** ****esday"

I use old phone numbers and car registration numbers, so nobody could pick them out even if they know all of my family now because none of them are still in service. I've also got a half a dozen passwords which started out as random strings of letters and numbers which I learned rather than changing them to something more memorable, so I can use them whenever I need something really unintelligible.

I'm lucky that I have the sort of memory that doesn't forget this sort of thing, but I do have a backup, but I'm not revealing where ;)

Archived