"Workless Households" - 3 million of them!

you will probably say he was a lier too saying if they would get him a job he would work but he wasn't.

I wouldn't at all. I didn't say all cases were the same.

from 1981 until he died he never had another job went on schemes even did some voluntary work which he liked and they made him give up as it took up is right for unemployment benefit. he even did a course in computer maintenance as well.he even wanted to do voluntary work for his money to help kids keep out of trouble with computers even spoke to a policeman that used to come to him over computer problems and he said the government couldn't afford to do this,he said he didn't want paying gladly do it for something to do for his dole money as he just loved computers.

I don't think it's much different now (though worded differently). It doesn't really help anyone does it.

It's another reason why I don't like the way the benefits system is run.

not everyone on long term unemployment want to be there

Of course, not everyone. I agree.

he would try and have a go at almost anything. government training when he did them was not long enough to get any certificates and he was told when he was doing the courses that he would not get a job in what he was training in at his age and that was when he was in his 30s and was told that if you have not got any proper skills by the time you are in your 30s you have no chance and expect to be out of work a long time

Who the heck told him that?

There is nobody of working age in my entire family - 26 of us including inlaws within the age range of 16-58 - who is out of work, other than one family member who is recovering from a serious cancer op. Coinsidence?

Should any of us find ourselves out of a job tomorrow, I am certain that we would be back in work within a fortnight even if it meant minimum pay and ungodly hours. Not one of us would even consider being unemployed through choice or the "I'd be better off being an idle git and signing on" mentality. If there was a job free and we could physically do it we'd apply, and make every effort to get the job. It's not the state of the employment market, it's the mindset........and this mindset will remain amongst us as long as it is possible for an entire family of idle gits to be as well off (if not better off)financially as a person who is bringing in minimum wages through hard graft.

My extended family is about the same in numbers, our ages range from 18-63. The 18 year old is at uni, one in his late 50s has taken early retirement, and the rest of us work. My 2 sisters-in-law were single parents for much of the time, and brought their children up on a pretty rough council estate. They've always done some sort of work, even if it was just school cleaning, so the kids grew up with a work ethic, plus a bit of ambition.

My OH works part time, he's had major heart surgery twice, so a full time job would be too much. Even though I'm officially retired, I've gone back to work for a couple of days a week. We still have a mortgage, so I have no choice really. But I suppose it keeps us from stagnating and rushing towards old age!

I do feel for people who have worked, and due to serious illness, disability or caring responsibilities have no choice but to give up their jobs. Not everyone wants to be idle, it can really be bad for people's state of mind and self esteem. I know when my OH was ill he got quite down about things. But I do wonder about families where no one has had a job for years, although no one has a serious disability or life threatening illness. How is it allowed? I also remember seeing a TV programme about Welsh miners, who when made redundant, all claimed Incapacity Benefit. They may well have been unfit for work, (although their conditions only appeared once the pits closed) but there was nothing wrong with their wives - yet none of them seemed to even consider getting a job.

I wouldn't at all. I didn't say all cases were the same.

I don't think it's much different now (though worded differently). It doesn't really help anyone does it.

It's another reason why I don't like the way the benefits system is run.

Of course, not everyone. I agree.

Who the heck told him that?

the person that was training him when he went to do something with electician work and he was told he would only be on the course for a year and said it takes 3 years to do the proper course and that at his age and not much experience in anything he would not get a job

Please don't take this personally, I'm genuinely curious - when you say he's been looking for jobs, has he been applying everywhere (mcdonalds, starbucks, supermarkets etc), or just for jobs that he liked the look of?

I've recently needed to change my job and know for a fact that where I'm working they recruit around 50 people a week, and almost all those who get an interview (really not difficult) get a job. It's not difficult work, and they pays slightly above minimum wage. I've never found getting a job a problem, unless i'm being picky about what the job is. The recession has meant there are less jobs in some areas (retail for example), but there definitely still are jobs out there.

It's also staggering the number of people I've known in the past (usually from school) who have the mindset of they'll get only get a job in admin or retail, they actively refuse to do something else. I'd take anything rather than be claiming benefits, and find a job whilst I'm there...

I'll just add before I'm lynched that if someones been made redundant from a well paid or skilled job, and have a specific skillset that they have trained for, they should have a period of time to focus on getting a job in the same area as they were in before they should feel guilty about taking taxpayers money.

there are some jobs he cant do as he as got a trapped nerve in his spine one at the top and one at the bottom of his spine so he as a lot of back problems and something where he is not lifting he as just finnished a course with job plus in a warehouse lifting which he should not be doing realy and he as put his back and shoulder out again and off sick for a month it happened on his last day as well.he realy needs a job that is not too many hours standing and with not lifting and he says he is not bothered about earning a lot of money if it just a few pounds more than dole money to get them off his back.

he realy wants retail work as thats what he as always done when he as been working which is mostly government training and only had one proper job which he liked but the man had to sell the business as he could not afford to keep it on. he is 35 years old and all he as ever done is goverment schemes since leaving school, and he as done quite a few of them. mostly working in newsagents, charity shops, wilkinsons which he as just done.

he signs on for 6 months to a year then he is on a scheme for probably 6 months then back to signing on for another 6 months to a year. he as applied for numerous jobs

If you want the ultimate in Sickness benefit, then you need to get on the council, or DWP.

Believe me, thats where I'm applying in the new year, I've paid off my mortgage and so don't need a big wage. Do what I'm going to do, get a job in admin somewhere, go on loads of them equality/diversity courses, get a few promotions, get a few sick days off (they tend to like people who suffer stress) so fake a mental breakdown a few times, melt into the system for 30 years...................

30 years later, bobs your uncle, get an inflation busting pension, and have an easy life. :thumbsup: best thing is, while you lobing in the sickys, you can be self righteous, towards the people on the dole. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you want the ultimate in Sickness benefit, then you need to get on the council, or DWP.

Believe me, thats where I'm applying in the new year, I've paid off my mortgage and so don't need a big wage. Do what I'm going to do, get a job in admin somewhere, go on loads of them equality/diversity courses, get a few promotions, get a few sick days off (they tend to like people who suffer stress) so fake a mental breakdown a few times, melt into the system for 30 years...................

30 years later, bobs your uncle, get an inflation busting pension, and have an easy life. :thumbsup: best thing is, while you lobing in the sickys, you can be self righteous, towards the people on the dole. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wow, you have a great imagination! ;) Have you worked for a council or a government department recently? I think you'll find that local councils nowadays don't guarantee jobs for life, they don't encourage people to 'lob in a few sickys', but take people down a disciplinary route if their performance and attendance aren't up to scratch.

The effort needed to succesfully complete an application form stops some people from even trying, but good luck if thats where you see your future.

Just had a bloke leave our place last week,he was on 7.70 a hour,says he will be as well off on disability all,think this says it all,there's not much wrong with him bar a bit of high blood pressure,oh and he is an idle git as well.

Seeing as all he'd get is ESA which is £60.50 per week to start with, and no guarantee of housing/council tax help, he's probably talking nonsense.

This angers me. My best friend is a single parent and has worked all the time whilst bringing her son up. I to am now a single parent bringing up my son and I too work full time. I have invested in a pension as has my friend. Yet people are allowed to milk the system until it is dry while my friend and I slave away and pay large amounts of tax and national insurance.

I have not had one penny from the state and am also paying for my sons home education because the state are not able to provide what he needs. I have found it very hard to cope at times particularly following my divorce. There was also a stage where I had to work in London because I could not find work here in Sheffield. Indeed, I am working in Huddersfield because there is no job for me here in Sheffield.

Archived