Bessemer furnaces in the Sheffield area

Texas

I recently read a biography of Andrew Carnegie, the American industrialist, for want of a better description (he did get a lot of libraries built). In the bio'it is mentioned, that in his early years as a steel manufacturer, he visited Sheffield to see for himself, the Bessemer method of steel making. I dont know a lot about steel making myself, but I was lead to believe that the Bessemer method was highly dangerous, the open hearth furnaces and blast furnace method being the safest and more efficient. I know that both of the last two were used commonly in the Sheffield area, but someone once told me there was a Bessemer down Brightside way. Any truth in this? Greybeard?

Texas

I don't think the Bessemer process was particularly dangerous. It was more economical to use at coastal sites with nearby haematite ore fields, and BSC's Workington works in Cumbria were producing Bessemer steel until 1974. In fact it's one of their 30 ton converters that was rescued for the Kelham Island museum.

The last working Bessemer converters in the South Yorks area are supposed to be those of the Ickles Works of Steel, Peech & Tozer Ltd. which ceased operating in the late 1920s.

Not surprising that Carnegie bought a license for the process; in the 1860s the US was importing thousands of tons of Bessemer steel rail track plus all the steel needed for steam engine crankshafts and tyres for the wheels etc.

I also believe there is a bessemer furnace on the grounds next to the ice sheffield place , you should pay a visit to the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet it's really interesting , tells you all about blister steel and all the history on Benjiman Huntsman who invented the crucible steel ,which went on to be made in the bessesmer furnaces :D

Thanks for all the information folks. Andrew Carnegie went into the steel business to make rails for his own railway. I've since found a site about Henry Bessemer which shows illustrations of his original furnace in Sheffield, unfortunately it doesn't tell you the location. Kelham Island, isn't that somewhere down Corporation Street way? Where the rolling mills were? And now it's a museum? The name Ickles evokes memories of Ickles dock, it was a railway siding, been there many times when I was a fireman on the railway, can't remember the exact location though. Somewhere near Grimesthorpe.

And that guy you mentioned, Huntsman, he was Bessemers partner.

I'm completely useless with names of roads but i'll have a go at describing where it is.

From West Bar roundabout you go down the one way system towards town. When you reach the first set of lights you turn left (Turn right to Royal Plaza). Once you've turned left you go along for about 200 meters and you'll see an opening to a side road on your right. The side road makes a sharp left straight away.Follow the side road for 100 meters. You'll see the Bessemer furnace almost as soon as you turn on to the side road.

[EDIT] This will be of more use to you ;)

http://www.simt.co.uk/contact/index.html

Archived